New Hermann Tort won't eat

AdamKeehmer

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz
Hello Y'all I recently just got a 10 month old Hermann tortoise and I was wondering if it's normal for tortoises to not eat the first couple of days you have them. I feed him dry pellets as a base, Leafy greens, and Kale that I spray with water to keep it moist. He just knocks the food around his tank. He is in a 40 gallon turtle tub, with UV light strip and a basking bulb at one end of the tank. Temperature is in the 80's and in the basking are it's around 90.

Herman_WA

Washington
Hello Y'all I recently just got a 10 month old Hermann tortoise and I was wondering if it's normal for tortoises to not eat the first couple of days you have them. I feed him dry pellets as a base, Leafy greens, and Kale that I spray with water to keep it moist. He just knocks the food around his tank. He is in a 40 gallon turtle tub, with UV light strip and a basking bulb at one end of the tank. Temperature is in the 80's and in the basking are it's around 90.
When I first got my Hermann he didn't eat for a few days. And I fed him the same foods you did. It just took him awhile to adjust to his new cage. Now he eats like a pig!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your temps need to be accurate, you sound like you are not absolutely certain they are correct.
Make sure he is secure and has shallow water and dark, warm hides.
Leave him alone.
Let him get used to his new home.
Good luck!
Pics would be nice!