New Hermann Tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rochellec

5 Year Member
Hi All

I have had my tortoise Remy for just over a week. I think Remy has settled in well and I can not see any health concerns as yet.

Remy is about a year old and is living in a 4ft by2ft vivarium with sliding glass doors,a heat lamp and uv bulb. She has a little hid away and her substrates are soil/sand MHz and compressed straw pellets.

I have bathed her 3 times and on each occasions she urinates which I an guessing is the white paste and poos. She poos daily and likes to eat a lot. I have feed her weeds from the garden and have not given her any shop brought veg as there seems to be conflicting facts about weather Remy should eat them or not, any tips would be good.

I have only sprayed the substrates the once but have noticed it has become dry should I be spraying it daily?

I read somewhere that when Remy is scathing on the glass doors this is because she is trying to get out and she may start to cause her stress. Is there any thing I can do to prevent this?

Also when she walks through her water bowl the subtracted stick to her face should I be wiping it off of her or lead nature take care of it.

All tips on taking care of her would be great. I live in London and will post a pic of her soon

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply :D

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amarillo Texas
Hello and welcome,

I'm new as well, i don't know much but i'll share some of what i have learned.

1. I would get rid of the sand and pellets these are not recommended as substrate as the sand can cause compaction if eaten and the pellets are just bad. (coconut coir is a recommended alternative)

2. keep the substrate moist but dry on top spraying everyday should be fine but you want some humidity in the vivarium for a tort that young.

3. Most recommend bathing or soaking a tort once a day or every other day.

4. This website http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp
has all the plants you can feed. Some other members have also recommended buying a spring mix at the local store.

I have always wanted to see London.

good luck and we are anxiously awaiting pics...:D

Later, Ryan

Rochellec

5 Year Member
Thanks for quick reply. I will change the substrates ASAP although I brought it from the pet shop it the one with the topsoil and sand and limestone mix. But if it will harm Remy it will be changed.

London is nice to live I but really expensive. The plus side us that my garden has most of the weeds that Remy needs so her food doesn't cost a penny.

Will upload pics as soon as I figure it out

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from not so far away :)

That's good advice about substrate... You can't beat soil on my opinion... straight out of the garden will do, or buy a sack of topsoil (not compost) from homebase/B&Q or a garden centre.

As for food:
No fruit (that includes tomatoes) - Hermanns can't process the sugars and that could make him ill.

Lots of green leaves - avoid standard lettuce and iceberg which has little fibre.

The tortoise table recommended above has a plant database where you can look up both weeds and shop bought plants for suitability. There's also a Plant Booklet you can download onto a smartphone or print off to use for reference when you're out and about.

A link to my soaking tips is in my signature below. I also recommend that you give Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread, also below, a good read.

It sounds like your little one is settling in well. Enjoy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rochellec:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

james douglass

5 Year Member
you should NOT keep your tortoise in a vivarium . a herman should be kept in a tortoise table . look on ebay to see what is avaliable . as for substrate beech chips or ready grass or coconut husk {from reptile shop} . i have three hermans and since i found out that vivs are bad for them they have changed completely since they have been moved into a table .

Rochellec

5 Year Member
That would be great if you could call. Let me know the best way to send my number to you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rochellec said:
That would be great if you could call. Let me know the best way to send my number to you

No, lol...I meant what is your name? Should we call you rochelle?

Status
Not open for further replies.