New Hermann's owner! Some questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

havagliano

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone.
I am a new tortoise owner. Have been researching for about 6 months. I was considering a few types of tortoises but when I went to the expo and saw this guy I had to have him.

I know Marty's set up isn't perfect (would like him in a tort table and a longer space) but I do have the temps right in the hot and cool site, the 50/50 substrate. Thermometers and hydrometers, uvb with at least 7% and a basking bulb on the hot side, a hiding spot, good food (small amount of Mazuri tort food and a lot of dandelions and mustard greens, calcium d3, etc. I even made him a pen in the yard with pansies and clover, and greens (can't wait for it to get warmer). I have been giving him 15 minute soaks at night ( he seems to have been a little dehydrated). The video of him with the tomato was just a treat since we had just got him.

I got him this weekend from the White Plains NY Reptile Expo, and the seller wasn't sure of the age of the tortoise but said around 1 . He was basically just a kid working the table. Marty was very alert and super friendly, my only concern was not knowing his age. I attached a bunch of pictures from the last 3 days. The only thing you can't see is that he is 6 inches long (Shell only)and 6 inched wide.

I would love some opinions about the age and what type of Hermann's tortoise Marty is, I am assuming a western. Also , I was told he was a male and was curious about that as well. Also any ideas of how much bigger he may get. I read so many different sizes which is confusing me on his age. I didn't know how long it takes a Hermann's to get to Marty's size.

FYI, it may be easier to look at my website, it's a silly blog but the first one that comes up is all these photos of MArty and the videos. Instead of clicking on each pic its right there to scroll up and down with.

Thanks Again,
Heather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFzEnr1v_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-09NycLLp4

View attachment 7991View attachment 7992View attachment 7993View attachment 7994View attachment 7995View attachment 7996View attachment 7997

Last edited by a moderator:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hi and welcome! I have to chuckle-I picked up that exact male and checked him out at the show. I did so because he is a Dalmatian Hermann's Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis, not an Eastern T. h. boettgeri as advertised. I was considering buying him because he does look good and would have made a nice addition to my Dalmatian breeding group.
Your tortoise is closer to 5 to 7 years old than he is one! Adult Dalmatians are a bit smaller than Easterns and slightly larger than Westerns, sometimes the same size, depending upon geographic populations. You can expect him to grow to about 5-6", probably more toward the smaller size. I wouldn't recommend feeding him Mazuri any more than a few pellets once a week. The diet should be about 80-85% good quality, varied weeds and other greens. The rest can be a good quality variety of vegetables. Calcium is necessary but honestly most male Hermann's rarely ever touch the stuff. But it should be available. They will also very occasionally graze on timothy hay, also very rarely. Dalmatians also often prefer a bit higher ambient humidity than Easterns. Most likely because of their coastal origins. It isn't that much of a difference, but they do not take prolonged dry conditions as well.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
havagliano said:
Hello Everyone.
I am a new tortoise owner. Have been researching for about 6 months. I was considering a few types of tortoises but when I went to the expo and saw this guy I had to have him.

I know Marty's set up isn't perfect (would like him in a tort table and a longer space) but I do have the temps right in the hot and cool site, the 50/50 substrate. Thermometers and hydrometers, uvb with at least 7% and a basking bulb on the hot side, a hiding spot, good food (small amount of Mazuri tort food and a lot of dandelions and mustard greens, calcium d3, etc. I even made him a pen in the yard with pansies and clover, and greens (can't wait for it to get warmer). I have been giving him 15 minute soaks at night ( he seems to have been a little dehydrated). The video of him with the tomato was just a treat since we had just got him.

I got him this weekend from the White Plains NY Reptile Expo, and the seller wasn't sure of the age of the tortoise but said around 1 . He was basically just a kid working the table. Marty was very alert and super friendly, my only concern was not knowing his age. I attached a bunch of pictures from the last 3 days. The only thing you can't see is that he is 6 inches long (Shell only)and 6 inched wide.

I would love some opinions about the age and what type of Hermann's tortoise Marty is, I am assuming a western. Also , I was told he was a male and was curious about that as well. Also any ideas of how much bigger he may get. I read so many different sizes which is confusing me on his age. I didn't know how long it takes a Hermann's to get to Marty's size.

FYI, it may be easier to look at my website, it's a silly blog but the first one that comes up is all these photos of MArty and the videos. Instead of clicking on each pic its right there to scroll up and down with.

Thanks Again,
Heather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFzEnr1v_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-09NycLLp4

hello, i think you and i are in the same position. i myself am relatively new to the tortoise scene. but i was just like you, when i first saw mine, Mr.8 i just new i would enjoy caring for him. Hermmanns are quite entertaning. they will start to develop their own unique personalities. i'm still discovering new things about mine. i'm constantly reading other posts to see what advice i can get. i can't really offer a whole lot of advice except to enjoy them. hopefully someone else with a little more experience will post so i too can read and learn.

havagliano

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Hi and welcome! I have to chuckle-I picked up that exact male and checked him out at the show. I did so because he is a Dalmatian Hermann's Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis, not an Eastern T. h. boettgeri as advertised. I was considering buying him because he does look good and would have made a nice addition to my Dalmatian breeding group.
Your tortoise is closer to 5 to 7 years old than he is one! Adult Dalmatians are a bit smaller than Easterns and slightly larger than Westerns, sometimes the same size, depending upon geographic populations. You can expect him to grow to about 5-6", probably more toward the smaller size. I wouldn't recommend feeding him Mazuri any more than a few pellets once a week. The diet should be about 80-85% good quality, varied weeds and other greens. The rest can be a good quality variety of vegetables. Calcium is necessary but honestly most male Hermann's rarely ever touch the stuff. But it should be available. They will also very occasionally graze on timothy hay, also very rarely. Dalmatians also often prefer a bit higher ambient humidity than Easterns. Most likely because of their coastal origins. It isn't that much of a difference, but they do not take prolonged dry conditions as well.

What a small world. That really is funny. He is such a sweet tortoise. I am so glad I got him. Thank you for all the information. Hope you had a great time at the expo. I have been looking at the dalmatian online and it is Marty for sure! I knew he was older but wasn't positive. It seemed as if he had a lot of growth to his shell and was about the size of a full grown Hermann's. I had a few more questions for you that I hope you wouldn't mind answering. I am so excited that you know your stuff and want to pick your brain.

I have been giving him dandelion and mustard greens since yesterday, what kind of vegetables do you recommend? He has only pooped once since the show and it was on the car ride home in the box. It has been since sunday night and he has been eating well and active in the bath. He sleeps all day long and I'm a little worried. I was told maybe some pumpkin may work, any thoughts?

I also was wondering why he walks and stands and his legs shake. He seems to be walking on his knees almost and not on his feet. Is this normal?

I was also wondering about the humidity. My hydrometer says about 50 % on average. Is this ok? I also have the basking spot at 94-100 and the cooler spot at 76-80 degrees . At night I was thinking about using a red night bulb to give more heat since its a 68-72 degree ambient temp.

Finally at night after he eats I have been soaking him in water up to half his shell with a heat bulb over him to keep the water warm for about 15 minutes. I think he was dehydrated when I got him and still may be. Do you recommend me soaking him everyday since he is a little older. I thought if he was younger it was a good idea but now that he's older than I thought does he need it? He really comes alive in there and it really cracks me up.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Heather

havagliano

5 Year Member
Hes doing much better! Went to the bathroom, roaming around the enclosure.Night and day! Eating well too! I'm sorry you wrote all that info and it didn't send. It is very appreciated. When ever you have a chance I would love to hear what you had to say. Thanks again for all the welcoming wishes!

GBtortoises said:
Heather,
I'm not sure what happened but I posted a very lengthy reply to your questions above and in checking today, I see that for some reason my response never posted!
You can always PM me here on TFO or Email me at: [email protected]. I'd be happy to help if I can.

havagliano said:
Hes doing much better! Went to the bathroom, roaming around the enclosure.Night and day! Eating well too! I'm sorry you wrote all that info and it didn't send. It is very appreciated. When ever you have a chance I would love to hear what you had to say. Thanks again for all the welcoming wishes!

GBtortoises said:
Heather,
I'm not sure what happened but I posted a very lengthy reply to your questions above and in checking today, I see that for some reason my response never posted!
You can always PM me here on TFO or Email me at: [email protected]. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
He's a beauty I wish I'd seen him at a show he'd have been off to Maine in a flash

Status
Not open for further replies.