New Hermann's tortoise owner

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul, MN
Hello everyone,
My boyfriend and I are new to owning a tortoise and new to this forum. We got our baby on October 3rd and named "him", Obi :). I'm guessing Obi is a couple months old. We both adore Obi A Lot!

So far Obi has only been on a diet of organic spring salad mix but he's kind of picky, only eating the green lettuce leaves. I've tried feeding him some grass I've planted and once picked a dandelion leaf to feed him but he ignored both. We always sprinkle Repti Calcium on the lettuce. He eats a lot but I've weighed him a few times and it seems like he's losing weight instead of gaining. Is there something else I can try feeding him?

Thanks everyone!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, you can try feeding him Mazuri. That will fatten him up in a quick. But, beware, once they've tasted it, it's hard to get them to eat grass unless you do what I did. I cut fresh, soft grass into tiny bits and mix it in the mazuri. They still love it. I would mix the grass with mazuri the very first time so that they'll think it always taste that way....good! Since he's only a baby, you can purchase mazuri in small bags from someone on the forum or at an animal feed store near you.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: New Hermann's tortoise owner

Hermann's don't really go for grass, do they? Have you tried plantain? It's an all-time favourite of my tortoise. He ate it all on his first try (when he was still used to banana and co. :( ) and has loved it since!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!!

The Mediterranean tortoises mostly like broad-leaf greens and weeds, rather than blade-type grasses.