New homed 2 year old Hermanns tortoise

Mrherbygeorge

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hi.

I recently homed a beautiful little hermanns tortoise (herby) who we believe is a male, could be wrong. He's around 2 years old I have been told.

We (my 6 year old and I) have had herby for around 3 months now. He seemed to be settling in well to his new home but recently runs away from and hides at any chance. :( is this normal. We don't pick him up unless we need to and we try and feed sometimes him to show him we aren't a threat.
The other question is. I was thinking to get him a friend, would this be silly now he's been on his own?

Thank you in advance.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Could you post pictures of him and his enclosure? That would help us identify any problems. What are the temperatures in his enclosure? Do you soak him daily? Do NOT get him a "friend". Tortoises are very solitary creatures, That do not need or want company.

Young tortoises do sleep a lot, but likely the reason he has been sleeping more recently is that winter is coming, and he is preparing to hibernate. It is up to you whether or not you should let him hibernate, but it is usually not recommended for the first year that you have had the tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi.

I recently homed a beautiful little hermanns tortoise (herby) who we believe is a male, could be wrong. He's around 2 years old I have been told.

We (my 6 year old and I) have had herby for around 3 months now. He seemed to be settling in well to his new home but recently runs away from and hides at any chance. :( is this normal. We don't pick him up unless we need to and we try and feed sometimes him to show him we aren't a threat.
The other question is. I was thinking to get him a friend, would this be silly now he's been on his own?

Thank you in advance.
Photos will help us to help you.

As with humans, some tortoises are more outgoing than others and some really do not enjoy attention. I advocate getting them used to gentle handling by establishing a routine so your tort knows what to expect and when. That way your tortoise learns that you are associated with safe and nice things; some catch on much slower than others!

Start the day something like:
1. Lights on - use a timer so they go on and off at the same time each day
2. Soak your tort for 20 minutes in warm water before it's had chance to warm up properly
3. While your tort soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food
4. Replace your tort in the enclosure and leave it in as much peace and quiet as possible to get brave, eat and explore so it can learn that the enclosure is safe.

With young children about, be aware that noise and movement may be part of the problem.

Tortoises are solitary creatures that don't want, need or particularly like company. Another tortoise is a rival for food and territory and will be bullied to try to make it leave. Do not get another tortoise to keep yours company!

Mrherbygeorge

Manchester
Thank you so much for your advice so far :) I've attached some pictures of him, if you need others I can happily post some more.

I turn his light on as soon as we get up in the morning and give him fresh food which is always a good mix of things suggested in the tortoise table.

I did stop bathing a couple of weeks ago him as I thought this maybe the issue with him trying to get away from me as he didn't like the water. I will start this again to see how it goes.

Ok great, no friend is fine. Whatever is best for him.

He does like to sleep a lot but I don't get to see much of his activity throughout the day as I'm at work.. which hopefully gives him peace and rest :)

The temperature at the moment is 23. I did only turn his light on about 1hour ago so I have seen the temperature be around the 30 mark before.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 33

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m not familiar with the growth rate of juvenile tortoises. Does anyone else think 80 grams is on the small side for a two-year old?

@Mrherbygeorge, I don’t mean to imply your tortoise is unwell; he’s gorgeous. I’m mostly interested for myself.

Mrherbygeorge

Manchester
I’m not familiar with the growth rate of juvenile tortoises. Does anyone else think 80 grams is on the small side for a two-year old?

@Mrherbygeorge, I don’t mean to imply your tortoise is unwell; he’s gorgeous. I’m mostly interested for myself.
Hi.

To be honest Im really new to this so I'm unsure myself. The place where I got him from only estimated his age so it's quite possible he could be younger. He was 72g when I got him and 80g 8 weeks later. Thought I would monitor this to get feedback on his progress :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He's the cutest ever!
I was wondering about the humidity, what is the level, and is there a separate cover for his enclosure?