New Home's won't come out of shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joiner

5 Year Member
Just bought a Home's Hingeback, feels heavy, shell looks healthy, but I've had this guy for three hours and he won't come out of his shell. I can't fully tell if he's healthy or not if I can't see his face. Is this normal? When can I expect him to finally come out and say hi?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have tom give him time. Three hours is not enough. It may take days or even weeks for him to not hide every time you come around. Patience :)

Joiner

5 Year Member
I understand he's going to hide when I come around, but I've kept him at the limits of my sight and he's been in his shell for three hours. Can he breathe in there?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes he can breath. If you his enclosure where it should be as far as temps, humidity, water, put some food in there and try to leave him alone. When he realizes it's safe to come out, he will. When he sees you, which to him is a big giant, he will go back in. Try to keep him on a routine, feeding, soaking, lights on and off same time, he will become even more comfortable. It all takes time.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D He will come out when he is ready. Believe me, they can stay safely totally tucked in like that for as long as it takes him to feel secure. If you really really have to get him out of his shell, placing him in warm water (like you are going to give him a soak) is usually the fastest way. Just be warned, even then he may not come out. The more you try to force him out the more stubborn he will become. Any even imagined movement from you, any cause immediate retreat also.

So you bought him without ever seeing him outside of his shell?

Joiner

5 Year Member
.....yeah, is that a bad thing? He's sexually mature and feels quite solid. Shell looks healthy.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It could be bad in the way that it may mean he is just a more shy animal. On it's own that's not a bad thing. But adding extremely shy with what I am assuming is a wild caught Homes, could be deadly. It's the shy ones which tend in my experience to having eating issues. Make sure to have the feeding dish located right next to his hide until you know he is a good eater.

Joiner

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your help, I'll keep an eye on the mushrooms we put in there.

Joiner

5 Year Member
Someone was up early, found him hanging out near his hide, mushrooms and spinach everywhere. He let me take a picture but I can't post from my phone.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You will find early and late hours are their more active times. Glad he is coming out of his shell. :cool:

Joiner

5 Year Member
He really loves my girlfriend, who I bought him for. In fact he only comes out for her. She says it's because she's the mushroom queen. Lol. She'll give him food and sing him cute little songs that she makes up, especially when she soaks him. She was so patient with him. Gave him time and got him use to her presence being in the room with him. She's the tortoise savy one, her allergies and love of animals caused her to adapt and that's when she fell in love in them. Now we just need to decide on a name, which is turning out to be the hardest part.

Status
Not open for further replies.