New Horsefield tort owner, any help appreciated[emoji4]

Dustinthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
England
I’ve just inherited a male Horsefield tort of 10 years, a few days ago. He has come in a vivarium type setup, but I am keener to build him a tortoise table as this seems more appropriate? He seems very happy and keen to come out the enclosure and explore (under full supervision!) and we are all surprised by how active he is. He hasn’t eaten anything as far as I can tell, but has access to drinking water (also let him have brief soak in water, which he chose to do himself also). The food he came with was pro rep tortoise food, but it seems so hard and dry, she it be moistened and how much do they eat? Also at night I’m turning the heat lamp do to around 20’c as read in other forums. He comes over to us and is quite friendly, so hopefully he’s happy here! Any advice greatly appreciated

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome and congratulations on your new addition.
This is the best place for up to date information and you'll get valuable information here which will ensure your tort has a happy healthy life and doesn't just survive but thrives. Ignore pet shop advice because their main concern is profit and they often sell unnecessary or unsuitable equipment.
If you look the Species Section you will find a great caresheet for Russian (Horsefield) tortoises which will tell you all about diet, substrate humidity and temps.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
This will also help https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
The minimum recommended size enclosure for an adult of the smaller species is 4 x 8 feet so I would think his viv has been way too small for him for a long while.
Torts are roaming creatures so they need space to do that and so that their digestive systems can work properly. Russians are also good escape artists and can burrow under or climb so they need quite high sides with a lip to stop them going over the top. If you look at the Enclosures thread you will get some great ideas from there and see how members have helped the humidity by using small plastic greenhouse on top of their base. Torts love weeds like dandelions, plantain (ribwort and broadleaf ) clover and many others - look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk which is a great guide to tort safe weeds and plants for food and in their enclosure, and tell you which to avoid. Dry food /pellets is ok as a supplement but isn't good for them as a main or sole food.
If you post pics of his viv and lamps we can help you make sure that where he is at the moment is as safe as possible for him.
Read the caresheet and ask as many questions as you like someone will always get back to you and can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Lyn W has already given you great advice and help with what to do to keep your tortoise happy and healthy! Stick around and post some pics when you can.