New horsfield 5year old not eating

scarlettelaura

I'm in the UK & I recently rehomed a male horsfield. They said he was around 5years old and isn't in the best shape, claws are a little long and the bottom of his beak is slightly overgrown.

He hasn't eaten anything yet, he's been with us almost two weeks. He was being fed pellets and shop brought salad. Whereas my other horsfield is 100% weed fed (best thing for them according to most tort owners here) He just doesn't seem interested in eating at all. I've even added some pellets to the weeds to tempt him but with no luck. Put him outside with loads of edible plants and he just ignores them. Any ideas? I'm getting slightly worried :/ just want him to be healthy and happy.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Try mixing the good weed food with the bad & slowly decrease bad. I had to do this with one of mine. In the mean time try adding squash babyfood to your soak water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're going to have to buy the kind of food the tortoise is used to eating. He doesn't recognize 'good' food as edible. He's used to eating the bad stuff. I would keep him inside and warm until he gets used to being with you.

scarlettelaura

I've tried that. He came with a few pellets, I've tried hiding the weeds under them, mixing them in & everything. He just isn't interested. He's a lively boy. He loves being outside in the sun, runs around and explores the garden. I will keep him in if you think it will help.
He has a long soak in the bath most days to ensure that he's hydrated. Just getting worried as our other HF that we've had for a year since he was a baby is perfect. Just wanted to give this poor little guy a better life but feel like I'm failing :(

M

Maggie Cummings

No, you are not failing him, his previous keepers failed him. I agree with the advice so far. Bring him in, warm him up to abt 80 degrees, offer food both good and bad daily and he will come around. Do you soak those pellets? Also, for a while cut up the weeds to bite sized pieces and mix the pellets in that. Don't give up on him. Remember, tortoises are territorial and he's been removed from his territory. Russians like to cool off at night so if it's not real cold in your house I'd maybe do without heat at night...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I did what Maggie3fan is suggesting. I soaked the pellets, then used a food processer to mix the pellet mush with weeds. It took a few tries but it worked. Torts are also creatures of habit, takes a while to get them to change their ways.

scarlettelaura

Just feel a bit useless.
Yeah his temps are good & he has no heat at night as temps are pretty mild here in the uk this time of year. I'll just keep going and try new ways everyday.

scarlettelaura

I did what Maggie3fan is suggesting. I soaked the pellets, then used a food processer to mix the pellet mush with weeds. It took a few tries but it worked. Torts are also creatures of habit, takes a while to get them to change their ways.

This is a brill idea! Thank you. Will give this a go. Think I need to go buy more pellets if he doesn't quit being stubborn soon!