New Horsfield has no appetite :( Worried Mum

NigelsMum

Location (City and/or State)
Leeds, UK
Hi Everyone,

I brought my Shell Baby Nigel home on Saturday. I am worried of his lack of appetite and just wanted some advice.

He has eaten bits and bobs, but has only had a couple of bites of carrot, and strawberry one bite of a dandelion leaf and two blueberries. I have offered him, dry tortoise food, mixed leaves, dandelion flowers, lettuce, kale and he just isn't interested, he wont eat whilst in his tank, only when hes out and will only be hand fed.

He is 1.5. His tank has UVA and a heat lamp, the temperature is usually around 90 in the basking spot and 70 at the other side. He seems to sleep a lot in his tank and doesn't really wander around.

I have had him out of his tank and he is pooing and weeing. The day i brought him home he had a very sloppy poo but it has hardened up since then. I have been giving him a soak every day in luke warm water and have seen him having a little drink this morning.

He comes out 2/3 times a day for a wander around and was very active yesterday but ate nothing. Today he seems very lethargic- is he maybe just tired?

He seems fine in himself most of the time, his eyes are bright and enjoys a scratch. Im just worried about his eating.

Nigel.jpg

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Hi,

It's quite normal that new tortoises don't have much of an appetite. Change scares them and he has to get used to his surroundings and you. This can take quite a bit of time. Don't give fruit, just stick to weeds, leafy greens. They don't need fruit, it's not part of their diet and you don't want them to get used to it. Same for handfeeding, totally fine every now and then but they can get used to it and never want to eat on their own. Soak him everyday in the morning so he can drink and get hydrated. They can last a while without food. Just put his greens on a piece of tile, slate or terracotta and have it ready for him after the soak in the morning. Also don't mess with him to much, just stick to picking him up for a soak and putting him back. Everything is really intense for him now.

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
Thank you. I think maybe I’m getting him out a little too much to try give him some exercise. Is it normal for him to sleep most of the day? He has just been sat in one corner of his tank all day and hasn’t really moved. I’m just so worried because he’s my first tortoise and I just want him to be happy

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Do you have a picture of his enclosure? How big is it, does he have hides, plants, type of substrate etc? It is normal to be inactive right now, he's been through alot with the move and he is still young. But what his enclosure looks like, type of basking and uvb etc. does matter and also has an effect on their activity. He doesn't need to be taken out for exercise, his enclosure should be big enough to do this in and interesting enough to want to move.

Last edited:

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
I have attached a picture of his enclosure. I have some rocks for him to climb on and some more bits and bobs ordered. His UV bulb is on the left and his heat lamp on the right. Temp is 86 in the middle of the tank. He has been full of fun up until today. A09DACEA-B83B-46F4-BDF9-E78AD4E5786E.jpeg

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
What kind of substrate is that? Lamps should shine/hang straight straight down. The basking spot should be a real sunspot, somewhere he can lay and bask and a lamp that you can lower or rise to adjust the temperature. You have a bendy bridge there, it should be empty there so he can lay under it with the lamp straight down on him. Keep it empty there, no climbables, if he falls on his back while you're out under the lamp he's he dead tortoise. Spot uv is no good and uv should also shine straight down always. A T5/T8 10 or 12% is what you should use.

I would put more things in there, it's quite empty. But things he can safely manage with his size. Cover the sides of the enclosure about 5 inches, he shouldn't be looking out, they want to go there when they can see out. After he's adjusted he'll climb the walls non stop to get out.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
It is hemp bedding. So really we’ve been sold the wrong lighting fixtures? There’s no way I don’t think to point them downwards, I will get my partner to look if he can adjust them somehow when he gets home.

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
I have ordered him some new substrate which is soil, coir and coconut substrate which he can dig in and it can be kept a little moist. Also some flower and weed plants and a grow box so he can have fresh food. I’ve had a re-jig in his tank and I think we can screw the lights to the top of it so hopefully he will be a happier boy. Some shallow rocks for him to bask on too. Thank you so much for your advice.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
I think you'll do great! I use 80 % cococoir and 20% cocohusk in my indoor and outdoor enclosure, good stuff!

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
Its all a learning curve at the moment, but thank you so much for all your help and advice. The hubby is changing the lights as we speak. I only want the best for my baby and to be a good Mum.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Ofcourse you do! And you'll never stop learning! I'm certain you'll do great! I was lucky in the sense that I grew up with my grandpas tortoise he bought in 1925 peter. He died in 2011, in his late 90's.

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
Awwww how sweet, my very first pet (a budgie) was called Peter. I've always wanted a tortoise for as long as i can remember, and at 32 i've finally got my baby.

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
Well both of us are a lot happier!!! He’s been a real greedy character the last few days. His tank has been overhauled and he’s turning into a very cheeky boy!!A6E0A0A6-3941-48BE-A64B-CD843D419F86.jpeg

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Oh thats great? the only thing I would do is cover 10 cm/ 4 inches of the glass, so he can't look out. It's better to do it now than to wait untill he's up the glass wanting to get out 12 hours straight. He will do that. I see the basking lamp is off? You do offer it at least 12 hours right?

NigelsMum

Leeds, UK
Yes it’s only because it’s near bedtime we’ve turned it off. He’s now burrowed himself in the corner to go to sleep.