New Horsfield owner here.

thefootballmann

Hello all.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398447506.590179.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398447535.086820.jpgI am a first time tortoise owner and I collected Cecil on Tuesday.
He is a real sweetie and has a lot energy.
His shell measures about 9cm and I was told he is 18 months old.
I call him Cecil but I guess he could be a girl.
What does everyone think of the look of him ? Does he look healthy ?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398447463.577094.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Nice looking Russian Tortoise but I'm not sure the substrate you have are the right one for Tortoise.

I hope Yvonne will shine-in soon for you on that.

Good to have you here.

thefootballmann

Hi bouaboua I'm glad you think he looks good. The substrate is monkfield tortoise which is what they used where I got him from but I welcome any advice,as I just want the best for him. Just in the few days we have had him the whole family have fallen in love with him. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398448518.511964.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I would not sure the substrate either. The little white stones worry me. They can eat them and then get impacted. My torts likes white things. You can sift the stones out and use just the dirt or it might be easier to just replace it with plain dirt or coconut coir

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
welcome and may you and cecil have a long happy life together like other's here i'm not a fan of the substrate you are using a lot of us choose to use substrate that if it's accidentally ingested they are able to pass it like coconut coir seem's to be a huge favorite, my first ever tort's were two russian's ( which is a mistake because they are a aggressive species and should be kept solo) and i used coconut coir mixed with organic topsoil no additives the top soil i used on the bag said ment for leveling garden's or filling in potholes

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes. How can we not fall in love with those slow moving creatures with lovely faces??

I don't have Russian Tortoise at this time but by looking at your last photo that your little guy do have some pyramiding issue, nothing horrible at this time, the previous owner are keeping him bit too dry, and by using coco coil as substrate will kept the enclosure moisturized, that will help the new growth to be more smooth.

Russian also need sun too, so taking outside if weather permits. Make sure you have escape proofed outdoor enclosure. They are so quick on escaping.

thefootballmann

Hi naturalman91
I hope we do have a long happy life together. They told me he should live 50 to 60 years is this right ? I know some tortoises live to over 100.
I will get some coco coir and top soil this weekend then. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ ,USA . Nice looking RT

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Hi naturalman91
I hope we do have a long happy life together. They told me he should live 50 to 60 years is this right ? I know some tortoises live to over 100.
I will get some coco coir and top soil this weekend then. :)

it all depends on the care and quality of life but if the care and life quality is kept up i see no reason why you won't be passing him onto your kid's one day ;) i had my russian's for 6-7 year's before wanting to switch species and giving to a fellow tort loving friend who still has them they were both 3 when i got them and when i decided to switch so they were between 9-10 when i gave them to him he's had them for 4 year's now so i wanna say they are at least 14 and still not showing any sign's of "old age slowing down"

thefootballmann

it all depends on the care and quality of life but if the care and life quality is kept up i see no reason why you won't be passing him onto your kid's one day ;) i had my russian's for 6-7 year's before wanting to switch species and giving to a fellow tort loving friend who still has them they were both 3 when i got them and when i decided to switch so they were between 9-10 when i gave them to him he's had them for 4 year's now so i wanna say they are at least 14 and still not showing any sign's of "old age slowing down"

I'm sure my kids will be pleased the adore him as soon as they get up and when they get home they are there with him.

thefootballmann

This is the substrate I am using.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398451392.867985.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398451415.542087.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398451437.638878.jpg
Don't know what happened with my pictures. :( So looks like the little stones are limestone grit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to our Forum!!

Your tortoise doesn't need limestone grit, and, like Barb said, it just might cause impaction if he eats a bunch of it. I would change it out for coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch.

You have a beautiful little captive-bred Russian tortoise. He looks very healthy.

thefootballmann

Hi and welcome to our Forum!!

Your tortoise doesn't need limestone grit, and, like Barb said, it just might cause impaction if he eats a bunch of it. I would change it out for coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch.

You have a beautiful little captive-bred Russian tortoise. He looks very healthy.
Hi Yvonne
Thanks for you help.
I'm glad he looks healthy to you :)
We just want the best for him.
I will buy some coco coir tomorrow and show pictures when I have done it.
We spend ages just watching him,we lose track of time :)
Thank you to all of you for your help ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I used to do that with a new aquarium full of fish. It got so bad that my husband made me a stool to sit on in front of the aquarium. He painted an eye on the seat of the stool.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome Russians are awesome you got a cutie there :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He looks very lively, and you sound like a very caring tortoise owner.

Make sure you put a cuttlefish (I think that is what you call cuttlebone in the UK) in. He may or may not nibble on it, but it gives them the option.

thefootballmann

Yeah, I used to do that with a new aquarium full of fish. It got so bad that my husband made me a stool to sit on in front of the aquarium. He painted an eye on the seat of the stool.
Lol I must admit dinner has been late a couple of evenings this week. :)