New hunting dog Ruger

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391694468.920897.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391694587.640684.jpg
I am so excited. We picked Ruger up from the breeders yesterday . He is smart little boy already house breaking. My hubby is looking forward to hunting season while I think I will focus on NAVHDA testing. He is a 9 week old tomorrow Wirehair German Pointer. He is so cute . The cold doesn't not bother him.

Does any else hunt their dogs or do any type of field testing ? If so I would love pictures or hear about.

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Did you say HUNTING? :exclamation:
*waits for invite*
Haha! Just kidding!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wa-a-a-a-a-ay back in the '50's, when my kids were just wee bairns, we had a German shorthair (not a wire hair), and she was just the absolute best dog for kids. They would climb over her, teethe on her ears, and she never, never once, ever snapped or tried to bite or be mean to them.

I love your little pup. Very cute.

katrvt

5 Year Member
This is my duck dog, Alex. She is amazing. She also is addicted to blanket hoarding. :D

Attachments

• 1391711256764.jpg
    1391711256764.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1391711284459.jpg
    1391711284459.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 52

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thanks everyone. Wow, Alex sure is a good duck dog and a beautiful dog!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love this breed. I have two. Fritz is about three years now, and Klaus is about 5 months old.

katrvt

5 Year Member
Ruger is adorable. I like gwps. That said, our friends has one who is a holy terror because they let her get away with murder.

And Thanks! Alex is crazy good. She always knows where the birds are, even when they don't.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is Klaus (aka Klausenheimer):
30bz989.jpg

And this is Fritz, Klaus' uncle:
jhpwyu.jpg

2m4snt0.jpg

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
They are gorgeous ! I especially love Fritz's longer coat. Who could resist Klaus's face. My dream GWP is Fritz . I don't think Rugers coat will get that long. I enjoyed the retrieving in the water picture.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Congrats on new beautiful puppy! Good luck with training.
Please keep us updated.
I trained several of my mini poodles on birds. I had ambitions of getting their working certificates from the Poodle Club of America. Standard Poo's are accepted for participating in AKC trials, but minis are not. So PCA offers a WC and WCX. Retrieving dead birds on land and in water, delivering to hand, etc.
I could either attend the National show to have them tested (7 hours away), or get an AKC judge to pass them on the few requirements at a local field trial. Well, I never made it to the National, and couldn't get any judge to even talk to me about letting my minis perform at a trial. :-(
They are little but totally enthusiastic retrievers! Pheasants were more suited to them, but even my smallest guy didn't hesitate to grab up the ducks and haul them to me! I need to scan some of my old pictures. This was pre smart phone days. I just have a couple of water play pics available on this mobile device.
The first pic is current. We took this 4 year old out for the first time this past summer, and he just jumped in and brought the dummy back over and over! A natural!
And the second pic was taken years ago. My two old girls competing over a stick at Bluff Point in Groton, CT. Brackish water. One of those dogs is gone now, and the other is nearly 15.

Attachments

• 1391749534199.jpg
    1391749534199.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1391750261156.jpg
    1391750261156.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 26

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortsNTurtles said:
They are gorgeous ! I especially love Fritz's longer coat. Who could resist Klaus's face. My dream GWP is Fritz . I don't think Rugers coat will get that long. I enjoyed the retrieving in the water picture.

We don't do anything with his coat except bathe and brush him. I think you are supposed to hand strip it to some degree. I'm not too sure the breed purists would approve. We trim it around his eyes too. He is a really good dog. One of our best workers. The other trainer that works these guys with me has another older one. He wasn't raised right and his temperament isn't great, but he's a cool dog too. Of course Klaus is on pace to be the best of all. He's fantastic.

Ann,
I love the poodle too. I've worked with the little ones and like them, but the standards are my favorite. I don't know why, but many people have a weird aversion to the poodle. I did too until I got around one for a while. Changed my whole opinion of the breed. I was just ignorant prior to meeting and spending time with "Hoots".

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Poodles have become the breed America loves to hate.
I love standards too, but the mini is the perfect size for my lifestyle.
Though very popular to be crossed with other breeds to make the Doodles. But then if anything goes wrong with the Doodle, it is blamed on the Poodle side. Sigh....
I have had a 100% shock reaction from unknowing folks, to my Poodles' retrieving abilities. No one knows this is what they were actually bred to do in Germany long ago. Before the French got hold of them! :dodgy: Retrieving still comes very natural to them, as does water play.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
AnnV said:
Congrats on new beautiful puppy! Good luck with training.
Please keep us updated.
I trained several of my mini poodles on birds. I had ambitions of getting their working certificates from the Poodle Club of America. Standard Poo's are accepted for participating in AKC trials, but minis are not. So PCA offers a WC and WCX. Retrieving dead birds on land and in water, delivering to hand, etc.
I could either attend the National show to have them tested (7 hours away), or get an AKC judge to pass them on the few requirements at a local field trial. Well, I never made it to the National, and couldn't get any judge to even talk to me about letting my minis perform at a trial. :-(
They are little but totally enthusiastic retrievers! Pheasants were more suited to them, but even my smallest guy didn't hesitate to grab up the ducks and haul them to me! I need to scan some of my old pictures. This was pre smart phone days. I just have a couple of water play pics available on this mobile device.
The first pic is current. We took this 4 year old out for the first time this past summer, and he just jumped in and brought the dummy back over and over! A natural!
And the second pic was taken years ago. My two old girls competing over a stick at Bluff Point in Groton, CT. Brackish water. One of those dogs is gone now, and the other is nearly 15.

I love these pictures. It always amazes me how do many people don't realize they are hunting dogs. We considered a poodle.