New in MO getting adult Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clinton, MO, USA
Hi! I'm Kathy and like the title says I live in MO and am picking up my first tortoise, Talison, an adult male Russian on Thursday. I'll have his table finished tuesday and I am so excited! While I am new to torts I am not new to herps. I used to have snakes. I had a king that got loose and was never found, I had a jungle that refused ft so I rehomed him as I refused to feed live, then I raised corn snakes for almost 3 years. After multiple escapes dispite my best efforts I got burned out on them. I found a person who took different reptiles around to schools for educational shows and donated my snakes to his cause. A few months later I was down and missing having a coldblooded pet, so I got a bearded dragon. Mojo is a citrus female, currently 16inches long and semi-brumating down for 3 days up for one silly thing! Then in November I got a call that a lizard had been abandoned and the shelter did not have any way to care for lizards, so either I take it or they have to put it down. Since it was free I could not say no. I got there and was told it was a sick baby beardie by a volunteer. I could tell right off this was no beardie. Got it home and thought it looked kind of like a spiny agama (well it is spikey lol). Posted on Facebook and my herper friends there told me it was a female emerald swift, after I changed the setup and food to what that type needed she improved greatly and is now a happy and active little critter. I also have a cat, so you can see why I call myself carnivorouszoo online, I've mostly had carnivores and insectivores! However, my beardie also eats veggies and greens so I wanted to add something to the mix to help eat the fresh foods before they go bad as has been a problem lately.

So now I am getting a Russian Tortoise on Thursday :D I am so excited! I joined 2 yahoo groups about tortoises but they are kind of slow so I looked up tortoise forums and this one came up as the first result and here I am!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Just to clear up a bit of business, the reason your threads did not show up right away, is because the first five posts are moderated. :cool:

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
I have two Russians. They're really truly rewarding pets. WELCOME to the family :D

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Welcome, you definitely came to the right place! Where in MO are you located if you don't mind me asking? I'm a fellow Missourian myself! Post pics as soon as you get him!

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Just to clear up a bit of business, the reason your threads did not show up right away, is because the first five posts are moderated. :cool:

Well color me embarrassed lol sorry!

Kathy

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
SulcataSquirt said:
Welcome, you definitely came to the right place! Where in MO are you located if you don't mind me asking? I'm a fellow Missourian myself! Post pics as soon as you get him!

(waves) I'm in Clinton a town almost exactly in between KCand Springfield on the Western side. I go both North and South quite a bit due to our tow being a small place. We have no real bookshop, no pet store at all, and no zoo :( . The last is the saddest for me ha ha. Where abouts could you be found on the map? Oh and yes photos will come as quickly as can be ;)

Kathy

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
carnivorouszoo said:
SulcataSquirt said:

(waves) I'm in Clinton a town almost exactly in between KCand Springfield on the Western side. I go both North and South quite a bit due to our tow being a small place. We have no real bookshop, no pet store at all, and no zoo :( . The last is the saddest for me ha ha. Where abouts could you be found on the map? Oh and yes photos will come as quickly as can be ;)

Kathy

You can find us about 4 hours east of you, right in Saint Louis. We travel quite frequently to the Lake of the Ozarks, so typically not too far away from you! Nice to finally see someone close to us - at least closer than most!

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
SulcataSquirt said:
You can find us about 4 hours east of you, right in Saint Louis. We travel quite frequently to the Lake of the Ozarks, so typically not too far away from you! Nice to finally see someone close to us - at least closer than most!

Nice! We plan to go to the zoo out there sometime this summer, perhaps we could have lunch or something, or maybe the next time you're out this way. Ever get near Warsaw? We get there from time to time too, we go herping near the dam.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
carnivorouszoo said:
SulcataSquirt said:

Nice! We plan to go to the zoo out there sometime this summer, perhaps we could have lunch or something, or maybe the next time you're out this way. Ever get near Warsaw? We get there from time to time too, we go herping near the dam.

We don't usually go further than Camdenton area - but that's only an hour away from Warsaw so not too far either!
Absolutely love the zoo out here and the fact that it's free is even better. It is very nice for not having to pay an admission fee.. but everything else may cost you an arm and possibly a leg :p We go every year usually more than once.

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
Laura said:
welcome to the family.
Russians are escape artists.. be prepared for that!

I have read that a fe times now, Iplan to have his enlosure tall enough to keep him in no worries. Thanks for the warning :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
carnivorouszoo said:
SulcataSquirt said:

Kathy

Hey I know where that is! My oldest daughter went to college in KC and now lives in Springfield, plus my husband works out of there. Small world!

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome to this Forum, Kathy. You have just joined the most active Tortoise Forum on the Internet. There's always someone here to help you.
Russians are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.