New India Member MONARCH needs Star Help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This person hasn't been able to start their own thread. We have been pming since late last night.
The tort is not eating,moving much and the owner has not seen it drink. It is winter in India and the tort has been housed inside with no heat or lights.
This is what I have said so far: give warm soak now and daily for 20-30 minutes. Get a UVB MVB light and a CHE and the proper fixtures for them. Also temp/humidity gauge and read those at tort level. Keep enclosure at 85F day and night with a basking of 100F. The 85F at least while baby is not doing good.
Gave instructions to hopefully be able to understand how to start a thread and to post pics and give run down of the enclosure, substrate, diet, etc, the important stuff.
Please add any help. I will be sending them a link to this thread.
From my time zone, they are approx. 12 hours difference.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
The person should mention which part of India he/she resides. Not all parts of India have the same severity of the winter cold.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
@MONARCH I hope you can read this, and you are the person being referred to. Please let us know where exactly you are from. If you do not have an enclosure setup, you'd need to keep your tort warm. Whatever works: Like inside your room along with a heater.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@MONARCH - Your tortoise needs an enclosure similar to this:

christmas tree bin-1.jpg Christmas tree bin-2.jpg

And he also needs a UVB light:

Either one like this:
mercury vapor bulb.jpg

or one like this:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

If you get the first type of light, it provides heat and UVB in the same fixture. If you use the second type, you will also need a heat source like this:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

We have a thread dedicated to people in India that you might find helpful:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/calling-on-indian-star-owners-residing-in-india.68875/

and also this one:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...rtoises-modified-for-indian-residents.139674/

MONARCH

@MONARCH I hope you can read this, and you are the person being referred to. Please let us know where exactly you are from. If you do not have an enclosure setup, you'd need to keep your tort warm. Whatever works: Like inside your room along with a heater.[/QUOTE
@MONARCH I hope you can read this, and you are the person being referred to. Please let us know where exactly you are from. If you do not have an enclosure setup, you'd need to keep your tort warm. Whatever works: Like inside your room along with a heater.
I am from MADHYA PRADESH , Bhopal......

MONARCH

right now i am trying to soak him regularly, he resist a lot. he is excreting white paste like fluid ..... which must be due to dehydration.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
right now i am trying to soak him regularly, he resist a lot. he is excreting white paste like fluid ..... which must be due to dehydration.

Which, in my opinion is normal. Quoting from an external source:

"Tortoises also produce urine and urates. Urine is the liquid portion stored in the urinary bladder. Urine contains waste products and toxins that are filtered from the bloodstream. Reptiles also have one more type of excretion product, called urates or uric acid."

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
@MONARCH You haven't yet mentioned on what kind of enclosure you have? And how much sun light are you proving to your torts ?