New Indoor Enclosure (Converted Raised Garden Bed)

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my new indoor enclosure I made for my 2 year old Hermann's Tortoise.

I converted a raised garden bed lined with light outdoor tarp and placed it on plywood with castors.

I bought the raised garden beds from Costco. https://www.costco.com/White-Vinyl-Raised-Garden-Bed-2-pack.product.100153335.html

Dimensions are 4' x 8' x 11". I use coco coir from EcoEarth (bought at Petsmart). Plants have been transported from his old house to new one. I'm growing some organic dandelions and once they sprout and get mature I will transfer them to fill the enclosure more. So far he seems to love it!

IMG_7949.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg IMG_7925.jpg IMG_7928.jpg IMG_7950.jpg IMG_7949.jpg IMG_7953.jpg IMG_1549.JPG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Nice looking enclosure. Well done.

Just a suggestion. You may want to get a reflector hood for the fluorescent tubes. I assume one is a UVB tube and looks like T8. If we assume that is a T8 10.0 bulb, At that height there would be little effective UVB at tortoise level. A reflector hood would almost double the amount directed downward. I also would not want to look directly into the UVB tube every time you want to look at your tortoise - or at least wear sunglasses when you do!

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Nice looking enclosure. Well done.

Just a suggestion. You may want to get a reflector hood for the fluorescent tubes. I assume one is a UVB tube and looks like T8. If we assume that is a T8 10.0 bulb, At that height there would be little effective UVB at tortoise level. A reflector hood would almost double the amount directed downward. I also would not want to look directly into the UVB tube every time you want to look at your tortoise - or at least wear sunglasses when you do!

That extra long tube is just an LED strip for extra lighting :) I will be installing more UVB strips later with deflectors :D I've seen so many of your enclosures and they are WAYYYYY COOOL!! So it means a lot to me that you think this is good. Thank you!!

Scubaroo

Florida
Did you put anything between the wood and the soil before putting the soil in, like plastic liner or something?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Very nice!!! I'm looking for something like this for my Russian. Any issues with escape attempts with 11" walls?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Did you put anything between the wood and the soil before putting the soil in, like plastic liner or something?

Yes. I taped a tarp around the inside. Also the top of the wood planks have corrugated plasted screwed on top for extra layer of protection.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Very nice!!! I'm looking for something like this for my Russian. Any issues with escape attempts with 11" walls?

Not yet :) He doesn't try to ever escape. Plus the siding is very smooth and he can't get a grip on it.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Love the build! Walls and wheels are awesome! Nice job! The spider plant is super cute too.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my new indoor enclosure I made for my 2 year old Hermann's Tortoise.

I converted a raised garden bed lined with light outdoor tarp and placed it on plywood with castors.

I bought the raised garden beds from Costco. https://www.costco.com/White-Vinyl-Raised-Garden-Bed-2-pack.product.100153335.html

Dimensions are 4' x 8' x 11". I use coco coir from EcoEarth (bought at Petsmart). Plants have been transported from his old house to new one. I'm growing some organic dandelions and once they sprout and get mature I will transfer them to fill the enclosure more. So far he seems to love it!

View attachment 211398
That is a really nice enclosure.

Butrbean

Tucson
Looks great but I thought these guys needed roughly
60-70% humidity and I don’t see how that will keep any humidity

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Looks great but I thought these guys needed roughly
60-70% humidity and I don’t see how that will keep any humidity

Adult Russians are fine with about 50%. You can either cover it somehow or make sure you add water to the substrate often.

MidwestyB

Iowa

View attachment 211398

View attachment 211394 View attachment 211395 View attachment 211396 View attachment 211397 View attachment 211398 View attachment 211399 View attachment 211404
Beautiful!
If you don’t mind, how do you keep the humidity up?