New indoor enclosure for my little leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

_simon_

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So he spent the 1st year that I had him in this after being told that he MUST be in an open enclosure. It was a nightmare to heat and I could never keep on top of humidity.

19262.jpg

After joining here last month I got him his 1st viv.
20120428_082128.jpg

and yesterday I got him an extension for it so he's currently in 6x3x3.

You can see him on the left under his basking lamp.
20120520_132224.jpg

20120520_132239.jpg

20120520_132255.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks very nice. Just make sure your on top of the temps. With it totally enclosed it can get too hot. Also what kind of light is the strip light? If it is the newer LED lights that are out now for aquariums, they may be too bright for their eyes. I am not really sure about that, they just seem too bright. See what others have to say on LED's for tortoises.

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
The ceramic's on a pulse stat so the temperature can't get too hot, it's 80F as I was told. The strip light is a T5, Arcadia 12% UV. There's no LED's in there although I doubt any man made light could be brighter than the sun?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Very nice:) what kind of light is on the left ? are you using a MVB?

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
coreyc said:
Very nice:) what kind of light is on the left ? are you using a MVB?

The basking light on the left is a 50w GU10 fitment halogen. I use them for all my reptile basking spots and they work a treat, fairly low wattage and put out a lot of heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your new enclosure looks PERFECT! Every bit of it looks ideal to me. The strip light, the basking lamp, the hides and foliage. The only thing I would change is the water bowl. I like something with shallower sides and more traction.

Seriously though, great enclosure and an inspirational example of how it ought to be done.

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Tom said:
I think your new enclosure looks PERFECT! Every bit of it looks ideal to me. The strip light, the basking lamp, the hides and foliage. The only thing I would change is the water bowl. I like something with shallower sides and more traction.

Seriously though, great enclosure and an inspirational example of how it ought to be done.

Thanks Tom :) I guess a terracotta plant saucer would be better, they seem to have more sloping sides. It's a plastic plant pot saucer at the moment in there.

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
He's been all over the place, all the freshly added soil was full of little tortoise prints when I looked in this morning :)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks Very Good, If you are having trouble with humidity mist the whole inside of the enclsoure even your tort every couple of hours.
You can also try a humidifier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.