New Indoor Enclosure **HELP**

Location (City and/or State)
Croydon
Hello All,

So it has been just over a week since I picked up my new lil rock who seems to be settling in quite nicely. Very inquisitive and loves to explore!!!
GetAttachmentThumbnail

As it does in England the weather has turned from 6 weeks of glorious sunshine and 30c plus to grey/rainy and considerably colder.
I have come to realize that I want/ need an indoor table for the lil rock as it does start to get colder.
I have asked my partner to build a wooden 4x2 enclosure with a house at one end and lift off roof - these seem pretty standard. (example pics of what I'm hoping for below)
upload_2018-8-27_9-8-44.png upload_2018-8-27_9-14-59.png

- What is the best substrate for the lil rock?
I have been doing a lot of reading and a lot of people saying topsoil mixed with different types of bark or topsoil mix with sand (then again heard this irritates their eyes)

- Is it better to use real live plants or safe decoration ones?
I have found a website/pet stores that sell live plants but been reading they get trampled and eaten within days so are 'fake' ones better?

Looking to start building this ASAP (should be making a start hopefully today, not a massive job) but any advise on the best possible set up for them would be great!!

Thanks in advance, always appreciated!!

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-27_9-12-15.png
    upload_2018-8-27_9-12-15.png
    655.3 KB · Views: 52

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If this is an adult tort it needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. The size you mentioned will work for a hatchling up too maybe 2 years or so. If you don't have the room for a proper enclosure try making a second level to give enough roaming room.
Also not wise to use sand. Read our hermanns caresheet in the hermanns section. Either fake or real plants are fine, just watch that s/he doesn't try to eat the fake plants and that the real plants are tort safe.

Croydon
Hello All,

Just an update on the tortoise table (Unfortunately have had family emergency so this had to be put on the back burner for a week or so) but we are now full steam ahead!!!

I say full steam... We have just started today!!!
I have taken the advise and am going to build a second level so that there is enough space for roaming, going to be posh and build a mezzanine floor above!
5a814a80-fb60-49f3-8210-70ecf453ca9b.JPG

Any suggestions on a liner as I think it would be easier to clean and keep the whole thing in better condition?!

Thanks again in advance all!!!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Go with vinly flooring. Plastic breaks over time. Trear the wood first with non toxic wood protector. Dry lock is one mentioned usually in here.

Croydon
Hello All,

So just an update on the tortoise house... she loves her ‘nest’ area where she sleeps.
She loves roaming around down stairs and basking on the stone under the lamp (heat lamp is turned off for periods so that it cools).
Tatty loves going up the ramp and roaming around up there and gets very cross if you take it away and has tried to climb up herself!!!

IMG_2134.jpg

Any suggestions or improvements of friendly advise always appreciated!!! Xo

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Can you post a pic showing the whole enclosure?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello All,

So just an update on the tortoise house... she loves her ‘nest’ area where she sleeps.
She loves roaming around down stairs and basking on the stone under the lamp (heat lamp is turned off for periods so that it cools).
Tatty loves going up the ramp and roaming around up there and gets very cross if you take it away and has tried to climb up herself!!!

View attachment 251826

Any suggestions or improvements of friendly advise always appreciated!!! Xo

This looks like an adult tortoise. While your table looks great, it requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. How big is your table?

Wdt77

5 Year Member
West Michigan
This looks like an adult tortoise. While your table looks great, it requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. How big is your table?

If one has the upper level would you consider that in your enclosure size requirements? For example if one has a 6’x4’ footprint with a 2’x4’ upper level is that the same as a 8’x4’ single level enclosure?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If one has the upper level would you consider that in your enclosure size requirements? For example if one has a 6’x4’ footprint with a 2’x4’ upper level is that the same as a 8’x4’ single level enclosure?

Yes, that would work.