new indoor greenhouse enclosure

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so after a few weeks of planning and reading other's threads about making a greenhouse kit into a indoor enclosure i decided to try it for myself.

i found this on amazon for 47 dollars with free shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

it's 71x36x36 so first thing i started doing was making a 6" deep "garden bed" at 71"x36" out of 2x4's and drilled 3 holes near the top to put 3 zip ties on each side and end to secure the greenhouse frame down

once the frame was secured down and all the plants and lights where put in it i put the cover over and taped the bottom of it to the outsides of the 2x4s the cover itself hung down about 2 inches past the framing of the green house so it was perfect for taping to the outsides

the greenhouse frame just sit's on top of the 2x4's secured by zip ties and taped

it holds heat and humidity PERFECTLY. which is awesome as i was coming from a 4x8 that didn't hold very well at all

here are some finish pic's i finished it on friday and have been paying attention to heat and humidity all weekend i will take more pics when i get a chance

0210151645.jpg 0210151645a.jpg 0210151645b.jpg

feel free to ask any question's and yes i know i'm lacking a water dish getting a new one soon until then he gets soaked every afternoon

0210151645.jpg 0210151645a.jpg 0210151645b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Very awesome, David! I love seeing fast-forward pictures, so I'll be expecting updates on your enclosure and tortoise :p

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Looks great. Is it easy to do things through the openings, feed, change water, etc?
it's very easy the openings and pretty wide and it unzips at one end it's about a foot and half from the opening to the bottom the roof is slanted so the light's are high enough

Very awesome, David! I love seeing fast-forward pictures, so I'll be expecting updates on your enclosure and tortoise :p

that should be around march 4th on the tortoise update i plan a doing a where we're at with where we've been showing old enclosures and such

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i actually think this is my 4th enclosure of the year i wasn't satisfied with the previous one's but i'm pretty satisfied now

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
I like it.

i'm curious about the ferns. these are like weeds where i am, but i'm reluctant to put in my tortoise enclosures because i read somewhere it's not good for tortoises. (it's the plant ID site, not sure if tortoisetrust or tortoisetable)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I like it.

i'm curious about the ferns. these are like weeds where i am, but i'm reluctant to put in my tortoise enclosures because i read somewhere it's not good for tortoises. (it's the plant ID site, not sure if tortoisetrust or tortoisetable)

there are safe types of fern's that you can put it it's all about research there are also a lot of unsafe one's this one is safe

i'd never take a wild plant and just put it in the enclosure to many hazards if it's grown in the outdoor enclosure and is listed as safe i wouldn't worry but be warned ferns can be hard to identify just by looking

Equivix

Bit of a dated post, but this looks awesome! Would it work for hermanns hatchlings or be too humid?

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
Looks great. Do you think you could staple a tarp to the inside of it, instead of the plywood?