New keeper to be from the UK

AndyThilo

The substrate is looking very dry just now. It needs to be moist throughout (not wet) to raise humidity levels.

Are the plants in pots? They'll grow better if they are and also they'll be easier to swap out when Flossie tramples or eats them.

You need to the temperature directly under that lamp at 35C. Have you checked that it is? An temperature gun style thermometer, inexpensive from Amazon, is best for accurate spot measurements.

How high are the sides of the table? I'd be concerned about an escape attempt. They're pretty good climbers. You should consider capping the corners and possibly the edges too.

Hi, yeah it's straight from the bag so a bit dry. I'll get a misting bottle tomorrow and start getting some moisture into it. The lamp doesn't have a bulb so there is no heat/light yet (should get the bulb tomorrow, then I can set up temperatures).

The table is pretty high above the substrate but we'll keep and eye on her. I can add a lip all the way round if neccessary. It comes with a mesh lid so we can cover when we go out etc..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hi, I don't have the bulb yet so it's just the reflector.

Hi it's not Perlite, it's limestone according to the link. Is this soil no good as a substrate? It's specifically for Mediterranean tortoises?
The stuff itself should be fine, but those limestone pieces, very popular in the UK are a bad idea in my opinion, you don't want you tortoise eating the substrate. I have a Greek and use only Coco coir, but other substrates such as cypress mulch or orchid bark are also good.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi, yeah it's straight from the bag so a bit dry. I'll get a misting bottle tomorrow and start getting some moisture into it. The lamp doesn't have a bulb so there is no heat/light yet (should get the bulb tomorrow, then I can set up temperatures).

The table is pretty high above the substrate but we'll keep and eye on her. I can add a lip all the way round if neccessary. It comes with a mesh lid so we can cover when we go out etc..
To dampen the substrate, get a jug of water and tip some in then mix it thoroughly with your hands. Misting only slows the speed of drying; it's not effective on its own.

A mesh screen will interfere with UVB light from your bulb and reduce its effectiveness; should not be used unless you cut a hole in it under the lamp.

I agree with Adam - the white bits in the substrate are of concern. They frequently lead to the tort eating the substrate which isn't good for it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Never mind misting, just poor water into the corners and mix it in by hand.
Oops, snap!
Joe's mum posted a microsecond before me!

AndyThilo

How damp should it be? Quite happy to cut a hole in the mesh big enough. Annoying about the substrate, why would they sell it if it's not suitable?

AndyThilo

Should be okay, but some torts will eat them, so be careful.
I use spider plants,myself.

Thanks I'll look at getting some. Got to go to the garden centre to buy some pots to start growing her food so will pick some small spider plants up as well.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Just a heads up. Pretty sure you can't run a mvb on a dimmer. Your mvb is self ballasted and needs a certain amount of current to operate properly. To adjust heat output simply move raise or lower the height you have the bulb mounted at.

AndyThilo

Just a heads up. Pretty sure you can't run a mvb on a dimmer. Your mvb is self ballasted and needs a certain amount of current to operate properly. To adjust heat output simply move raise or lower the height you have the bulb mounted at.

Hi, thanks and understood :).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How damp should it be? Quite happy to cut a hole in the mesh big enough. Annoying about the substrate, why would they sell it if it's not suitable?
Profit.
These manufacturers and pet shops are interested mostly in money.
They just think "Substrate is good, calcium is good, i've just had a brilliant idea, let's just mix them together, double good and more money."

AndyThilo

We collected Flossie yesterday. Actually she's a Horsfield! Well the lady had lots of baby Hermanns but my wife decided to go with a Horsfield. Got her home and settled her in. Left her for and hour or so to let her look about. Very inqusitive and alert.

This morning she had breakfast, then a bath and has spent the day wondering round climbing over things and generally investigating. Oh and she did a poo (guess that's a good sign lol). I think we need more stuff for her to climb over as she seems to like doing that. Spent quite a while sat on top of the tree bark hide just looking round.

Well here she is, sat in her other hide in the cool bedroom section.

Untitled by AndyThilo, on Flickr

Seems happy enough, just need to make the table interesting for her.