New large adult female redfoot, some questions

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Hello,

I recently got an adult female redfoot. The gentleman told me he was selling it for a widow that split it from a male that was a breeding pair. The widow sold the male, and then asked him to help sell the other. No idea if this is the truth or not but I decided to buy her and give her a good home.

I have no idea of the age of this tortoise but she is 12 inches or so long and her shell is very worn. I have other redfoots that i know are just a few years old and their shells are not pyramid but almost patterned like growth rings. Was this adult wild caught? Her shell was very dry and flaking in some places, she is very shy and does not move around much. All my other redfoots have been super social. Shes been here about 2 weeks and is wandering about a but more but i havent seen her eat but ive seen her drink. I give her soaks and watch her drink. Should I be worried? I feel like shes ok but ive never had a tort this old so Im not sure. He eyes are clear and shes heavy, i havent weight her yet. I posted a picture before i washed her and gave her a bit of a rub with a few drops of coconut oil.

I wanted an aditional female for my male, and this one is quite a bit bigger and likely ready to breed. When im ready to introduce her he will likely follow her everywhere like he does to my other female.

I appreciate any comments or thoughts about her.

Thank you!

o5jNK5NmZiCEvrKXDp9uu27lu_dAp3rVDgtxU_m1oRYsg4lKWYTbPXza3TI8uWc95EJLyn3bHreBLX9K8GiEamhNjdHRM9...jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can we see a picture of the tail and anal scutes?

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I dont think so, when her tail is out it is short and the cloaca is large. This picture makes her look concave. I will try and get a better picture tomorrow

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@ZEROPILOT
@turtlesteve
Male or female?

Carapace shape and plastron concavity makes me think male. I can't make out what is going on around the tail area, so possibly a male that lost its tale and has since healed over completely?

I'm hoping people with more RF experience will chime in.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Hmm. I say female, never seen a male tail like that. The U-shaped anal scutes also look female. I am used to old male plastrons being extremely concave, not at all subtle like seen here.

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Its tail doesnt look anything like my other male redfoot which is super long and thick and almost goes to its legs on each side. I wish i could get a better photo but she is so shy right now.

I was looking to find out if her behavior is normal being that ive almost had her for two weeks. Now im worried that i have a male, and that i got fleeced, even though I still think its a she. How can I take a better photo with her being this shy?

Also her tail is not damaged at all. Ill try to get a better pic.

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Ok, lets try this again this time i tried to grab at her tail a bit maybe it will give some context. Posted a pic of my male at the last photo. Let me know what you think! Thanks all!
LE0mD5KQa1kxg2uHX12cfXHYZDe5uDFLWc3k_tSw-KJuHka2xPO2C2p3luadzIMfe_kxVrwjc3K-Pxt_Fy9PbZ62MLvXrC...jpg
hBF5ySM7422_-_9xd0Dn9uSm1I_VYFrQn7_mILG1M9u1D2vVwZTXXXbcLkLOhJLg7VG2Rj_QBdk7MLsQS_UTPvUuvOcM5c...jpg
8qkCr8V4ULcuyigQWtvccKvc1SoNSh0bfH10XwiFNCA4wQMuFcNufwMohQ3VN3s-IlzkJvBnMdNbRZNSyN_UsssvtGjebs...jpg

This is my male, his tail is huge. Fills up the whole anal scute area. Not that you need me to show you the difference, but thats what im used to seeing in a male. Although this guy is much younger and about 7-8 inches or so.
DoqlFKcayAf_ZGA8t0qfoshjdda7IbALIxqlykNQTgzBg0ebqsxhvaWk_wv3SpZ1QicfOwnSf5Ss6u3lJcBVRDrA49v7q5...jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@ZEROPILOT
@turtlesteve

Thanks for the info. I agree female now that I can see the tail, but I've never seen female with that peanut shaped body.

@thxkbye you have a very interesting and beautiful animal there. I hope she gives you some babies.

thxkbye

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
@ZEROPILOT
@turtlesteve

Thanks for the info. I agree female now that I can see the tail, but I've never seen female with that peanut shaped body.

@thxkbye you have a very interesting and beautiful animal there. I hope she gives you some babies.

Thank you Tom! I hope so too!

Thanks all of you for the conversation. Hopefully she perks up soon. Here in San Diego these chilly days and nights will be gone soon and she can spend her time outside and not in her heated enclosure most of the day. My two sub adult redfoots just go in and out of their heated hide and seem to have no problems here, but I do lock them up at night in their hide. Mostly due to predators, racoons and foxes. They have a big secure outdoor area to roam.

Appreciate it!

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
Hello,

I recently got an adult female redfoot. The gentleman told me he was selling it for a widow that split it from a male that was a breeding pair. The widow sold the male, and then asked him to help sell the other. No idea if this is the truth or not but I decided to buy her and give her a good home.

I have no idea of the age of this tortoise but she is 12 inches or so long and her shell is very worn. I have other redfoots that i know are just a few years old and their shells are not pyramid but almost patterned like growth rings. Was this adult wild caught? Her shell was very dry and flaking in some places, she is very shy and does not move around much. All my other redfoots have been super social. Shes been here about 2 weeks and is wandering about a but more but i havent seen her eat but ive seen her drink. I give her soaks and watch her drink. Should I be worried? I feel like shes ok but ive never had a tort this old so Im not sure. He eyes are clear and shes heavy, i havent weight her yet. I posted a picture before i washed her and gave her a bit of a rub with a few drops of coconut oil.

I wanted an aditional female for my male, and this one is quite a bit bigger and likely ready to breed. When im ready to introduce her he will likely follow her everywhere like he does to my other female.

I appreciate any comments or thoughts about her.

Thank you!

View attachment 341542
Thank you Tom! I hope so too!

Thanks all of you for the conversation. Hopefully she perks up soon. Here in San Diego these chilly days and nights will be gone soon and she can spend her time outside and not in her heated enclosure most of the day. My two sub adult redfoots just go in and out of their heated hide and seem to have no problems here, but I do lock them up at night in their hide. Mostly due to predators, racoons and foxes. They have a big secure outdoor area to roam.

Appreciate it!
being with one male..could she be overbread? I thought minimum one male two females..I think she needs time to rest, heal, and eat right..Shes tired. so beautiful

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
being with one male..could she be overbread? I thought minimum one male two females..I think she needs time to rest, heal, and eat right..Shes tired. so beautiful
One male is probably all that 2 females can handle and just one will be bred into oblivion.
My rule has been a 3 to 1 ratio. Or greater.

That is a spectacular tortoise

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
I agree..so this beautiful tortoise was kept with one male..alone..so now this woman has a gorgeous red toe that needs to rest, heal and be a happy tortie

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
I agree..so this beautiful tortoise was kept with one male..alone..so now this woman has a gorgeous red toe that needs to rest, heal and be a happy tortie
hopefully alone..and certainly not with one male..hopefully with girl torties ...

Russiantortylady

Vermont
Keep us posted on how she is doing and keep the pics coming as well..................She and they are gorgeous...........

Talkinturtles

Millcreek, utah
Hmm. I say female, never seen a male tail like that. The U-shaped anal scutes also look female. I am used to old male plastrons being extremely concave, not at all subtle like seen here.
definitely looks like a female to me. her carapace really doesn't look that bad. soak in warm water daily and make she hydrates and is offered a high fiber diet. anywhere from 12 to 18 inches is would be normal, more towards the 12 inch size. i think with good care, she will be fine.