MtnDinos

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How do you go about naming your new hatchling when it may take years before you can figure out the sex? My aunt named her desert tortoise “April” as a baby only to find out later that April was a he…not that it mattered to my aunt really, she kept calling him April. For me, it’s just that much harder to narrow down all the choices not knowing, lol. Does everyone else wait a couple of years or how do you go about naming your pet tortoises?

Attachments

• 72E9C70E-8432-4030-9E4A-E3192FD372EF.jpeg
    72E9C70E-8432-4030-9E4A-E3192FD372EF.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 7

zolasmum

5 Year Member
How do you go about naming your new hatchling when it may take years before you can figure out the sex? My aunt named her desert tortoise “April” as a baby only to find out later that April was a he…not that it mattered to my aunt really, she kept calling him April. For me, it’s just that much harder to narrow down all the choices not knowing, lol. Does everyone else wait a couple of years or how do you go about naming your pet tortoises?
Hello and welcome. Why not choose a name which could be for a boy or girl.? We called our boy Zola, which can be a girl's name, but also the name of various famous people - Emile Zola the writer, Gian-franco Zola the former footballer, and also means "quietness" in Swahili. There are lots of names like George/Georgina , Peter/Petronella, etc.
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It really only matters to you. The tort does not know or learn its name like a dog does and does not need to know it to learn to come cuz they don't work that way.
So you can name it anyway you want. A name that will cover both sexes or a name that is easily changed by just changing one letter or just a favorite name. You can also wait and if it turns out to be a Male, he may flash you around 3 years of age and then you can pick a name.

OliveW

Branford, FL
He's probably a boy. I only say that because it seems like there are so few female torts on here that are pets. Mostly only the breeders have females. I don't know why.

Or you could go with something like Jamie, that could go either way. :)

He looks like a "Hoss" to me because of the saddle design. Like a cowboy.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I’m one of those who likes gendered names for the opposite gender (An example being, I prefer the name ‘Kate’, and ‘Chloe’ for a man, rather than a woman). So I may not be able to offer much advice as far as human names go.

But places, colours, objects… Nouns in general tend to be a good way to go, as nouns aren’t typically gendered by themselves. Flower and weed names are good ones, Rose and Daisy are two I’d think are very nice for both males and females. Fruit too. Apple, and Melon are two I think would fit both sexes. Then there’s trees, Oak, Hazel, Ash, there really are a bunch you can take from.

Or! Traits of your tortoise you may want to use as a name. Dash/Dashy/Dasher, or Speedy for a tortoise who is faster than you might’ve thought. Sleepy for a tortoise who spends a lot of time asleep. Fidget, or Zigzag for a tortoise who is always on the move, or has an interesting gait. Sunny, or Jolly for a tortoise who is unusually bright. Freckles if your tortoise has spots. Jigsaw, or Lumpy if your tortoise has unusually shaped, or raised scutes.

I just picked a name and stuck with it. My tortoise’s name is Herbie (Typically a masc name) and despite them having a plastron which appears like that of a female, I’m not too bothered. It’s just a name after all. If you feel it doesn’t fit your tortoise at any time, you’re free to change it! I don’t know of too many tortoises who can recognise their name anyway. Saying that, I also keep some nicknames on hand. 90% of the time, Herbie gets called ‘Toasty boy’ because when they were younger they looked like a piece of toast.

Just some ideas! Hope these help :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I’m one of those who likes gendered names for the opposite gender (An example being, I prefer the name ‘Kate’, and ‘Chloe’ for a man, rather than a woman). So I may not be able to offer much advice as far as human names go.

But places, colours, objects… Nouns in general tend to be a good way to go, as nouns aren’t typically gendered by themselves. Flower and weed names are good ones, Rose and Daisy are two I’d think are very nice for both males and females. Fruit too. Apple, and Melon are two I think would fit both sexes. Then there’s trees, Oak, Hazel, Ash, there really are a bunch you can take from.

Or! Traits of your tortoise you may want to use as a name. Dash/Dashy/Dasher, or Speedy for a tortoise who is faster than you might’ve thought. Sleepy for a tortoise who spends a lot of time asleep. Fidget, or Zigzag for a tortoise who is always on the move, or has an interesting gait. Sunny, or Jolly for a tortoise who is unusually bright. Freckles if your tortoise has spots. Jigsaw, or Lumpy if your tortoise has unusually shaped, or raised scutes.

I just picked a name and stuck with it. My tortoise’s name is Herbie (Typically a masc name) and despite them having a plastron which appears like that of a female, I’m not too bothered. It’s just a name after all. If you feel it doesn’t fit your tortoise at any time, you’re free to change it! I don’t know of too many tortoises who can recognise their name anyway. Saying that, I also keep some nicknames on hand. 90% of the time, Herbie gets called ‘Toasty boy’ because when they were younger they looked like a piece of toast.

Actually, now I look at the word- Dilemma is a good name in itself !! Emma the girl obviously, and Dilbert for the boy -but Dilemma the whole word would be good for either '
Angie

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Actually, now I look at the word- Dilemma is a good name in itself !! Emma the girl obviously, and Dilbert for the boy -but Dilemma the whole word would be good for either '
Angie
I like this LOL

I assumed my leopard would be a male, as so many seem to be. So, I chose a male name from day 1.

Levi was supposed to be short for Leviathan because while he was so small, I couldn't call him such a big name. But eventually he was just "Levi"...it's who he is.

Around the yard his nicknames include: bully, brutus and tank based on his personality.

MtnDinos

Southern California

I love Fidget, Zigzag and Jigsaw! Now more options, haha. I am also considering Zale, Tonka, Kurma, Charlie…

Last edited:

MtnDinos

Southern California
Hello and welcome. Why not choose a name which could be for a boy or girl.? We called our boy Zola, which can be a girl's name, but also the name of various famous people - Emile Zola the writer, Gian-franco Zola the former footballer, and also means "quietness" in Swahili. There are lots of names like George/Georgina , Peter/Petronella, etc.
Angie
I was thinking of Charlie which could go both ways too…

MtnDinos

Southern California
He's probably a boy. I only say that because it seems like there are so few female torts on here that are pets. Mostly only the breeders have females. I don't know why.

Or you could go with something like Jamie, that could go either way. :)

He looks like a "Hoss" to me because of the saddle design. Like a cowboy.
Hoss is cute! And I think he is a male too - the plastron is not flat and turns inward slightly, tail seems longer and looks more V than U around the tail to me. But who knows as he is only 6 months.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola and I would be most honoured if you would accept our suggestion of Dilemma as your beautiful little tortoise's name - and at least you can be fairly sure no other tortoise will have the same name. You could call him/her Dilemma for now, and then have a special naming ceremony when you are absolutely sure if it will be Emma or Dilbert/Dillon/whatever !
Angie