New leopard owner with some questions

Ladyliberty

Hi! We just adopted an 8 yr old leopard tortoise from some friends and I have some questions.
1. How do I tell if my tortoise is a male or female?

2. How big should my tortoise be at 8 years old? It seems small to me but maybe I'm wrong.

3. Can I attach photos using my phone?

Thanks!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi! We just adopted an 8 yr old leopard tortoise from some friends and I have some questions.
1. How do I tell if my tortoise is a male or female?

2. How big should my tortoise be at 8 years old? It seems small to me but maybe I'm wrong.

3. Can I attach photos using my phone?

Thanks!

If you can post some pictures of the plastron, showing the tail area, we can help you identify the tortoises sex.

Size varies but at 8, he or she should be pretty decent size.

Yes you can add pictures with your phone. Are you using your phones browser or the tortoise forum app?

And welcome!

Ladyliberty

If you can post some pictures of the plastron, showing the tail area, we can help you identify the tortoises sex.

Size varies but at 8, he or she should be pretty decent size.

Yes you can add pictures with your phone. Are you using your phones browser or the tortoise forum app?

And welcome!

I don't know what the plastron is. Lol! I will
Have to google it.

What is the standard way to measure a tortoise's size? Do I just measure the shell? The bottom side?

I'm using my phones browser. Should I be using the app?

Thanks!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
You measure the underside of the tortoise (plastron)
But pictures of the top, bottom, face and just random pictures of your tortoise will also be great :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Definitely small. Very cute. I am not good at the boy/girl game, but will guess female. Is still too small to know for sure. Looks fairly smooth and healthy. Do you know for sure on the age? I have a 2 year old that is significantly larger than that. They all grow at their own rates though, and a lot of variables can affect growth rates.
Welcome to the forum!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard is about 5 and 11 inches long ( no idea of his history so that is based on comparing him to one that is definitely 7 and about 14+ inches long)
Parker is small but very sweet.

Ladyliberty

Wow! He's is substantially smaller. I wonder if it's his diet?? I'm not sure the previous owners were feeding him right. They gave him green leaf lettuce and radicchio twice a day. Nothing else. They said he's picky but I haven't tried to give him anything else yet. We've only had him for 2 days.

What other factors could cause a tortoise to not grow?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Diet, humidity, overall environment and genetics will all play a part. You will want to introduce new foods slowly. Add small amount of 1 New thing at a time. Increase the quantity of that item each day until eating it without a problem. Then add another new item.

Rue

Canada
If all he got was green leaf lettuce and radicchio, he'd be malnourished I would think. Those two plants can't possibly offer up all the micronutrients a tortoise needs?

Or can they? I haven't really read anything that would answer that fully.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If all he got was green leaf lettuce and radicchio, he'd be malnourished I would think. Those two plants can't possibly offer up all the micronutrients a tortoise needs?

Or can they? I haven't really read anything that would answer that fully.
You are right. If that's all that tort ate, it was far from a nourishing diet.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Add new foods in slowly...and he might love them...or be scared of them...and need time to get used to them.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oops posted too soon.

Offer as much variety as possible. Give cactus pads a try, they usually LOVE cactus.