New Leopard Tort Mom seeking help with basking and hide

ShadowChris

Location (City and/or State)
Frankfort Kentucky
Merry Meet! I am a new Tort Mom to a 9 week old Leopard Tortoise named Jumoke. I'm so in love. My Uncle Zamric (father of Gaia & Eros) gifted me his first Grand-tort! He introduced me to this site and I've been studying for 9 weeks! You all are so helpful and awesome! I have loved turtles/tortoises my whole life and Walking Rock was so amazing so I wanted one, but waited for the right time in my life. I'm in KY, and have looked at all local pet places. I'm asking for help on the best basking and hides. I have temporary but want better. I'd greatly appreciate any pictures or links to what you love. Everything I'm finding is not safe, not tall enough, or too tall. Thank you so much in advance!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI and welcome, I have a leopard too although he is about 9 or 10 years old now and much bigger than yours. He was about 4 years old when I got him and already too big for a viv or table so he has his own room. I have just bought him an insulated dog kennel as his night hide for his room and I'm in the process of changing his heating so that it can be contained in this.

Many like to start their baby torts off in large vivariums which hold the heat and humidity better than tables, but if you have a look through the enclosures thread - you'll find lots of great ideas there. Some use storage boxes with covers that allow the heat and uvb through for babies. Don't use clamps for your lamps etc as these have been known to fail and cause fires, so go for something where they can hang down and then you can adjust the temps by raising or lowering them. Avoid coiled or cfl type bulbs as these have been known to damage tort eyes so they're too risky.

Pet shops will often sell you unnecessary and even unsafe equipment for the profit, and you will have a lot of expense for day and night heating and thermostats etc so save money where you can. A hide could just be an upturned plastic tub/bowl with a door cut into it and most of use cheap terracotta plant saucers for water dishes, these have good traction and when sunk level with the substrate are easy for the tort to get in and out of and as the tort grows they are cheap to replace with bigger versions.

The dial type of thermometers they sell aren't very reliable so get a digital thermometer and hygrometer with a probe which will give readings at tort level and a digital temp gun is great for spot checking the basking temp and cooler area etc.

If you aren't sure about a purchase, check here first as it could save you a lot of money.

I'm sure you've already found the caresheet which will advise you about diet, humidity, substrate and of course the best temps for a healthy tort. but if you have any questions please ask there are plenty of people offering good advice here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yay, glad you joined. Love your uncles leopard updates and we all loved Walking Rock.
When my babies were little I used a plastic flower pot turned upside down and then cut a hole big enough for him to fit in. They are cheap and the hole can be cut larger as they grow until they need a bigger pot. I have also used a smaller sized plastic tote box with lid and again cut a hole in the side. You can also use a couple bricks and place a board across the top of them. Placing the bricks just far enough apart that he can turn around under them. As he grows you can separate the bricks more or even stack another on top to make it taller. I wouldn't do more then 2 high without securing them.
Good luck and dont forget pics.

ShadowChris

Frankfort Kentucky
HI and welcome, I have a leopard too although he is about 9 or 10 years old now and much bigger than yours. He was about 4 years old when I got him and already too big for a viv or table so he has his own room. I have just bought him an insulated dog kennel as his night hide for his room and I'm in the process of changing his heating so that it can be contained in this.

Many like to start their baby torts off in large vivariums which hold the heat and humidity better than tables, but if you have a look through the enclosures thread - you'll find lots of great ideas there. Some use storage boxes with covers that allow the heat and uvb through for babies. Don't use clamps for your lamps etc as these have been known to fail and cause fires, so go for something where they can hang down and then you can adjust the temps by raising or lowering them. Avoid coiled or cfl type bulbs as these have been known to damage tort eyes so they're too risky.

Pet shops will often sell you unnecessary and even unsafe equipment for the profit, and you will have a lot of expense for day and night heating and thermostats etc so save money where you can. A hide could just be an upturned plastic tub/bowl with a door cut into it and most of use cheap terracotta plant saucers for water dishes, these have good traction and when sunk level with the substrate are easy for the tort to get in and out of and as the tort grows they are cheap to replace with bigger versions.

The dial type of thermometers they sell aren't very reliable so get a digital thermometer and hygrometer with a probe which will give readings at tort level and a digital temp gun is great for spot checking the basking temp and cooler area etc.

If you aren't sure about a purchase, check here first as it could save you a lot of money.

I'm sure you've already found the caresheet which will advise you about diet, humidity, substrate and of course the best temps for a healthy tort. but if you have any questions please ask there are plenty of people offering good advice here.

Thank you so much! I am excited but an extremely nervous. I over think all the time lol. I truly appreciate your recommendations! Way cheaper and smart for growth, too!

ShadowChris

Frankfort Kentucky
Yay, glad you joined. Love your uncles leopard updates and we all loved Walking Rock.
When my babies were little I used a plastic flower pot turned upside down and then cut a hole big enough for him to fit in. They are cheap and the hole can be cut larger as they grow until they need a bigger pot. I have also used a smaller sized plastic tote box with lid and again cut a hole in the side. You can also use a couple bricks and place a board across the top of them. Placing the bricks just far enough apart that he can turn around under them. As he grows you can separate the bricks more or even stack another on top to make it taller. I wouldn't do more then 2 high without securing them.
Good luck and dont forget pics.
Thank you sincerely! I truly feel it "takes a village". I'm thankful Zamric got me on here. I'm definitely glad I asked! Great ideas that are safe and affordable!

mitzi overstreet

Merry Meet! I am a new Tort Mom to a 9 week old Leopard Tortoise named Jumoke. I'm so in love. My Uncle Zamric (father of Gaia & Eros) gifted me his first Grand-tort! He introduced me to this site and I've been studying for 9 weeks! You all are so helpful and awesome! I have loved turtles/tortoises my whole life and Walking Rock was so amazing so I wanted one, but waited for the right time in my life. I'm in KY, and have looked at all local pet places. I'm asking for help on the best basking and hides. I have temporary but want better. I'd greatly appreciate any pictures or links to what you love. Everything I'm finding is not safe, not tall enough, or too tall. Thank you so much in advance!
I have leopard tortoises I like the mercury vapor bulbs uva & Uvb combined. I live in Tennessee so we probably have a similar climate, mine stay outside in the summer. I use terracotta flower pots for my small tortoises & dog houses for my large ones. I also keep their room around 80-85° and run a humidifier. When I had hatchlings I used a lifetime 4x4 raised bed garden with a topper to keep the humidity up.