New Leopard Tortoise Family

CATortoiseFamily

FullSizeRender (1).jpg IMG_8429.JPG IMG_8430.JPG Hello everyone! We are new to the tortoise world and I am totally freaking out. My sweet 10 year old daughter fell in love with the Salcata Tortoises at the zoo and spent a month researching them before we finally let her get one. I am scared to death we are going to kill this sweet thing because we don't know what we are doing. I was very reluctant about doing it but my husband was sure we were ready to take this on.

We bought our little leopard tortoise from a local reptile shop who supposedly helped us select everything we needed for it. (We are calling it a her for now since we don't know the sex) I am attaching images of our setup and a picture of our baby, Squirt.

The bottom of the tank has about 1 1/2 " of a mix of about 1/2 and 1/2 of some sort of reptile "dirt" and a bark type stuff (sorry, I don't have the specifics). We have a daylight bulb and another bulb that is for heat. The heated side of the tank stays in the mid 80s. On that side of the tank there are some artificial plants and a little log thingy for her to hide in. And on the other side of the tank is her water and food dishes.

I think we are doing this totally wrong and like I said before I am terrified that we are going to end up killing this baby. Here are some specifics things that I am freaking out about tonight......

1. She paces back and forth the front of the tank. We taped up a strip of paper because we thought that the glass cage was making her a little coo coo. But then she keeps doing it even after that paper is up.

2. We don't see poop in her cage, but every time my daughter holds her (she holds her on an old shirt so it doesn't go anywhere) , she poops TONS. Is that normal?

3. Tonight she is burrowing into the dirt/bark. Which is really freaking me out because I don't know if that is normal either.

We have been feeding her spring mix with a few carrot pieces cut up small. We add calcium every other day, and she gets a couple tiny pieces of banana a couple times a week. We have not been soaking her everyday because the people at the store said that wasn't necessary, but then I was reading on the care sheet here that they should be soaked for 20-30 min everyday. I just feel like we aren't doing this right. :( We have had her for 2-3 weeks now, please help us so we can give this baby a great life.

Thanks everyone!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513372.879374.jpg
Well let's start with the soaks yes everyday.
The glass box is to small get large plastic container like a Christmas tree storage container it's cheep .
Now the lighting for heat :ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513624.650237.jpg
Now the food : ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513666.927060.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513726.104141.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513754.352096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513779.221495.jpg
Now that will get you started. You can read the rest on here . Have a great tort day !

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513692.782045.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438513692.782045.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your daughter fell in love with the sulcata at the zoo, but you bought a leopard? There's nothing wrong with your set-up for your baby leopard tortoise, except for it's too dry. Pour a whole pitcher full of water over it and mix it up with your hand. Maybe even two pitchers full. Baby tortoises need to live in a warm, humid environment. Take a look at the pinned threads at the top of the leopard section. You will find a whole lot of good info on raising baby leopard tortoises.

CATortoiseFamily

Your daughter fell in love with the sulcata at the zoo, but you bought a leopard? There's nothing wrong with your set-up for your baby leopard tortoise, except for it's too dry. Pour a whole pitcher full of water over it and mix it up with your hand. Maybe even two pitchers full. Baby tortoises need to live in a warm, humid environment. Take a look at the pinned threads at the top of the leopard section. You will find a whole lot of good info on raising baby leopard tortoises.

She fell in love with tortoises because of the Salcatas at the zoo. She didn't want to have a huge tortoise, that is why we got a leopard.

CATortoiseFamily

Hello
View attachment 141745
Well let's start with the soaks yes everyday.
The glass box is to small get large plastic container like a Christmas tree storage container it's cheep .
Now the lighting for heat :View attachment 141746
Now the food : View attachment 141747
View attachment 141749
View attachment 141750
View attachment 141751
Now that will get you started. You can read the rest on here . Have a great tort day !

Its too small for the size she is now? We plan on building her a bigger cage, but was told this was a good size for right now.

Where do I buy that kind of bulb? The one we have is a Zoo Red nightlight Red Reptile bulb.

CATortoiseFamily

How should we keep it moist? Do you spray it?

CATortoiseFamily

Also, can anyone address these concerns from my original post?

1. She paces back and forth the front of the tank. We taped up a strip of paper because we thought that the glass cage was making her a little coo coo. But then she keeps doing it even after that paper is up.

2. We don't see poop in her cage, but every time my daughter holds her (she holds her on an old shirt so it doesn't go anywhere) , she poops TONS. Is that normal?

3. Tonight she is burrowing into the dirt/bark. Which is really freaking me out because I don't know if that is normal either.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Also, can anyone address these concerns from my original post?

It sounds like she is stressed out. They pace and poop when scared and stressed. She is trying to hide. Babies are very vulnerable.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
1. She's in a new home and is stressed as Jodie mentioned. It may take a few weeks for her to get settled in. You might want to make that strip of paper taller so she absolutely can't see you and what's going on outside. Also, go out and buy a shallow clay plant saucer to the local Home Depot for the water. It looks like you have a plastic ramp bowl which is dangerous for torts. You need a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) for your daytime heat and beneficial rays. Temp under the bulb should be around 95 to 100 F. I would not use a red bulb or any kind of night time bulb. Torts need complete darkness to sleep properly.

2. She's scared and it's a natural reaction from most torts who are not familiar with you yet. Normal. However, if you handle the tort all the time at this point it will poop out all it's nutrients first without being absorbed properly. Please avoid over handling at this stage.

3. As some pointed out, it's WAY too dry in there. Pour in some warm water now and mix it up. Make it humid and warm. The two go together for a happy leopard tort. The entire enclosure should not be below 80 F. Buy a ceramic heating element (CHE). This will be the source of your night time warmth. Attach it to a thermostat so it will maintain a temperature of at least 80 F. You need an accurate temp gauge from Home Depot. Don't buy the cheap inaccurate ones at the pet store. Many torts settle in by partially burying themselves for a feeling of security.

Any kind of screen or glass will prevent the beneficial rays of any light including the MVB from reaching your tort. You'll have to find something else to safely hang you MVB so the rays hit your tort. Many buy plexi-glass at Home Depot and cut the appropriate size hole for the bulb. Check out the enclosures section of this forum.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

1. Tortoises walk and pace a lot. They do this for exercise, exploration and it helps their digestion too. Tortoises are also very territorial, meaning they are very comfortable when in their known spaces and very uncomfortable when in new unknown spaces. Your baby will settle down in time.
2. They often eat their own poop. Gross, but that is tortoises. If the tortoise is eating then the processed food is going somewhere, so don't worry. If the tortoise is pooping every time it is held, then it doesn't need to poop at other times.
3. Totally normal. They do this for safety and security and also to create their own little micro climate around their shell.

I see a few problems:
1. No red bulbs. They make things look funny to tortoises and it messes with their little heads. Can you imagine walking around in light like that all day and night?
2. I can't tell exactly what type of water bowl you've got there, but it looks like one of the deep ramped ones. If so, then swap it out right away. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.
3. There are a few good pets shops in this country, but most of them are terrible and give terrible advice. Sounds like you might have gotten some of the bad advice.
4. No fruit. It is not good for them.

Your set up is pretty good. Better than most people's initial attempt.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to achieve these temps? Any UV bulbs? Coil type?

You need to soak this baby every day.

Please read these for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Skip all the grass info and read the food list:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
All of what has been said above
The red light especially could be upsetting her. Torts love anything red and will try to eat it so make sure she doesn't nibble and choke on your artificial plants. Real plants like spider plants are good and tort safe. Look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to find out what is safe or not.

Also don't see a hide in there for her to sleep in something like a plant pot half buried will be ok or you can buy little log hides or just a cheap plastic upturned box with a door cut in will make a good humid hide.
heat + humidity = healthy tort
cold + humidity = sick tort.

Most torts (my Lola is an exception) will poop in their luke warm shallow soaks and people use that to manage the toileting so they don't do it in their enclosures.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely baby leopard.
As you have seen you've come to the right place for up to date tortoise care.
Please read the links posted and ask any questions that you may have.
Follow the good advice given above also and you will have a happy healthy tortoise for many years to come.

CATortoiseFamily

1. She's in a new home and is stressed as Jodie mentioned. It may take a few weeks for her to get settled in. You might want to make that strip of paper taller so she absolutely can't see you and what's going on outside. Also, go out and buy a shallow clay plant saucer to the local Home Depot for the water. It looks like you have a plastic ramp bowl which is dangerous for torts. You need a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) for your daytime heat and beneficial rays. Temp under the bulb should be around 95 to 100 F. I would not use a red bulb or any kind of night time bulb. Torts need complete darkness to sleep properly.

2. She's scared and it's a natural reaction from most torts who are not familiar with you yet. Normal. However, if you handle the tort all the time at this point it will poop out all it's nutrients first without being absorbed properly. Please avoid over handling at this stage.

3. As some pointed out, it's WAY too dry in there. Pour in some warm water now and mix it up. Make it humid and warm. The two go together for a happy leopard tort. The entire enclosure should not be below 80 F. Buy a ceramic heating element (CHE). This will be the source of your night time warmth. Attach it to a thermostat so it will maintain a temperature of at least 80 F. You need an accurate temp gauge from Home Depot. Don't buy the cheap inaccurate ones at the pet store. Many torts settle in by partially burying themselves for a feeling of security.

Any kind of screen or glass will prevent the beneficial rays of any light including the MVB from reaching your tort. You'll have to find something else to safely hang you MVB so the rays hit your tort. Many buy plexi-glass at Home Depot and cut the appropriate size hole for the bulb. Check out the enclosures section of this forum.

Good luck!

Where do I buy the MVB bulbs and the ceramic heating elements? I will check out the enclosure section.

CATortoiseFamily

1. Tortoises walk and pace a lot. They do this for exercise, exploration and it helps their digestion too. Tortoises are also very territorial, meaning they are very comfortable when in their known spaces and very uncomfortable when in new unknown spaces. Your baby will settle down in time.
2. They often eat their own poop. Gross, but that is tortoises. If the tortoise is eating then the processed food is going somewhere, so don't worry. If the tortoise is pooping every time it is held, then it doesn't need to poop at other times.
3. Totally normal. They do this for safety and security and also to create their own little micro climate around their shell.

I see a few problems:
1. No red bulbs. They make things look funny to tortoises and it messes with their little heads. Can you imagine walking around in light like that all day and night?
2. I can't tell exactly what type of water bowl you've got there, but it looks like one of the deep ramped ones. If so, then swap it out right away. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.
3. There are a few good pets shops in this country, but most of them are terrible and give terrible advice. Sounds like you might have gotten some of the bad advice.
4. No fruit. It is not good for them.

Your set up is pretty good. Better than most people's initial attempt.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to achieve these temps? Any UV bulbs? Coil type?

You need to soak this baby every day.

Please read these for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Skip all the grass info and read the food list:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

The red bulb thing makes total sense. Wow. Now I feel really bad :(

It is like a ceramic or plaster or something, the water dish. It is a ramp one. Why are they bad? She uses it.

Yeah, I guess we didn't go to a good shop. Its a reptile shop and thought we were doing better than going to Petsmart. :( Im frustrated, because we spent over $200 on the enclosure stuff and $175 on the tort. I knew we should have come online to find someplace like this BEFORE we took the plunge.

So NO fruit? EVER?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Fruit is not good for their digestive system. The water bowl has steep sides that will cause your tortoise to flip over, and he can then drown. Unfortunately they don't always use the ramp.
If it helps, a lot of us started off all wrong like this. It is frustrating the shops, even vets give bad info.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Unfortunately, pet shops are trying to sell you stuff, they sometimes don't know to much about the animals or even their products.
Try to return the unwanted items, many will give you a refund.
Don't feel bad. We all made mistakes at the start.
Then we found here.
Then we fixed the mistakes.
You can find the MVBs and CHE's at most good pet shops but they're often much cheaper on the internet. Maybe try Amazon.

Last edited:

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Where do I buy the MVB bulbs and the ceramic heating elements? I will check out the enclosure section.
As forum members mentioned, any pet shop that has a reptile section will carry MVB bulbs and CHE. They come in varying watts, a few different manufactures. For a MVB many use Powersun 100w or Solarglow 125w. They are delicate and expensive to replace so be careful in handling them. If you turn it on/off too many times there is a kind of auto reset in the bulb. Let it sit for a few minutes and it will come on again. I buy mine at Petsmart because I've had issues twice where the bulb lasted a few minutes to a few days and stopped working. Keep the receipt and they gladly gave me a refund or a replacement. Many stores would simply say too bad, and your then your out $50.