New Leopard Tortoise Family

CATortoiseFamily

OK, we bought a terra cotta plant saucer for her new water dish. And my husband bought a ceramic bulb and a thermostat.

Question about food. Right now we have been giving her spring mix and carrots. Are carrots ok?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco

CATortoiseFamily

Carrot is okay sparingly according to the tortoise table.They generally err on the side of caution, so it should be ok in moderation, some people cook it first so it's softer for little mouths.
The tortoise table is a good starting point for whether a food is safe or not http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
Also have a look at the following link which s also good for leopards http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.52677/

I am totally confused where to look on TTT.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just enter the name of the fruit, flower, plant or whatever into the search box on the homepage and press search.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard loves dandelions. Make sure they are picked from somewhere that hasn't been sprayed with chemicals or from the side of the road where car fumes can affect them. Wash them thoroughly , they will keep well overnight in cold water.
Other favourites are broad and narrow leaf plantains and clovers.

He may eat grass cuttings from your lawn providing it hadn't been treated with chemicals etc. If he won't eat it from his dish/slate then cut it up finely and sprinkle over wet dandies etc. I use a dried grass product called Readigrass which I grind up to almost a powder in a blender them sprinkle on wet food and spray again.

My tort will sometimes graze of his own accord on his patch of tort safe grass.

Spring mix is OK to bulk food out, especially in the winter when weeds are scarce. Lola will also eat romaine, kale and spring green - in small doses. No fruit except rarely as a treat, they love it but to much can upset good bacteria in the stomach.
TTT is great to check which plants are safe or not especially if you already know the name, but the diet sheet mentioned above is th best to follow.

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned it but make sure the bulb you have (not CHE) is not a coiled or looped type as these can damage torty eyes

CATortoiseFamily

I will take pics tomorrow of the lights so you can see what they are. My husband has been buying everyhting so I dont know what everything is.

He bought a 100W MVB but we can't raise the light high enough from the tank to keep it from getting too hot in there. Is this the best bulb to have? Or is there something else we could use instead? Would love to keep her in the location she is in.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I will take pics tomorrow of the lights so you can see what they are. My husband has been buying everyhting so I dont know what everything is.

He bought a 100W MVB but we can't raise the light high enough from the tank to keep it from getting too hot in there. Is this the best bulb to have? Or is there something else we could use instead? Would love to keep her in the location she is in.
You can buy/exchange for a lower wattage or if you hang them rather than use clamps (which do somethimes fail and become a ore hazard) you can then adjust the height accordingly. You can buy lamp stands for them or make your own. Have a look at the Enclosures thread to see how others hang theirs.