New Leopard Tortoise Owner - Concerned

Amajoy

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, AZ
image.jpg Hi everyone, my name is Amanda I am new to the forum and also a new leopard tortoise owner. I just picked him up today. He moves around a lot, been pacing back and forth in his new 20 gal. terrarium. He has a hide box so that should address him being scared but I know it's all new. I am concerned because he seems to be breathing hard he kinda uses his whole body to breathe (if that makes sense) I don't know if this is normal or not as I am a first time tortoise owner. He is a baby but I don't know exactly how old. Please advise. Thank you!

Oh and meet Dezzi! image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They pump their legs to breath, so yes sounds normal. Sounds like he is very stressed. Give him a few days to settle and only handle to soak daily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
hello and welcome he is breathing kinda like hes pumping his legs in and out? normal. btw, he has already started to pyramid, which means he was started very dry. please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and care. the sulcate threads will apply to your leopard.

Amajoy

Glendale, AZ
Thank you for the replies. Sounds like his breathing is normal then. :) I'll read more on pyramid shells.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't worry, it is going to take your tort a bit time to get used to a new environment.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome He's lovely! I have a leopard but he's about 3/4 so quite a bit bigger than that.
I may be wrong but a 20 gal tank doesn't sound very big for him. Does he have room for some plants to hide himself in as well the hide - they will make him feel more secure. (see www.thetoroisetable.org.ok for tort safe plants - spider plants are good but make sure they are grown chemical/fertiliser free)
If you post pics of it them members can help you make any improvements if necessary.

nextep

I agree with the rest, only want to say that that's a beautiful tort you have :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Cut some cardboard into a long strip and then tape it onto the bottom of the outside glass just high enough so that your little guy can't see out. If he can't see life beyond the tank, he may just settle down.
As you know, the tank will need to be replaced by something MUCH larger VERY soon, anyway.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome He's lovely! I have a leopard but he's about 3/4 so quite a bit bigger than that.
I may be wrong but a 20 gal tank doesn't sound very big for him. Does he have room for some plants to hide himself in as well the hide - they will make him feel more secure. (see www.thetoroisetable.org.ok for tort safe plants - spider plants are good but make sure they are grown chemical/fertiliser free)
If you post pics of it them members can help you make any improvements if necessary.
That should be www.thetortoisetable.org.uk