New Leopard Tortoise owner, first timer from FL

GoodOne

Location (City and/or State)
NE Florida
I am a lifetime fan of tortoises, as a young child one of my memories was on one of our many visits to the San Diego Zoo.....and riding on the shells of Galapagos tortoise. Big hint as to my age!
Anyways I have worked as an animal control officer, shelter manager and settled in to my over 30 year career as a pet groomer/business owner. Continue to expand my animal knowledge and husbandry as life marches on and my current journey is with my new baby leopard tortoise. Purchased it at reptile show near home last weekend. I am now trying to provide the best environment possible and raise a beautiful, healthy adult.
Current weight is 57 gms. Working on building plans now for adult enclosure and having so much fun reading so far.
Anyways, probably TMI but big Hello from "unnamed" and me here in NE Florida.

Pics are from area where we plan to build.

56716560-CCA4-49EB-A237-2D9021BC3858.jpeg 6BFED71A-3FAC-45EB-9A1D-1F44ED70A977.jpeg D3F311A0-1AC7-47F1-930D-488A6A061957.jpeg

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
I am a lifetime fan of tortoises, as a young child one of my memories was on one of our many visits to the San Diego Zoo.....and riding on the shells of Galapagos tortoise. Big hint as to my age!
Anyways I have worked as an animal control officer, shelter manager and settled in to my over 30 year career as a pet groomer/business owner. Continue to expand my animal knowledge and husbandry as life marches on and my current journey is with my new baby leopard tortoise. Purchased it at reptile show near home last weekend. I am now trying to provide the best environment possible and raise a beautiful, healthy adult.
Current weight is 57 gms. Working on building plans now for adult enclosure and having so much fun reading so far.
Anyways, probably TMI but big Hello from "unnamed" and me here in NE Florida.

Pics are from area where we plan to build.

View attachment 276520 View attachment 276521 View attachment 276522
What a sweet baby! And it looks like you have a great space to set up a wonderful habitat for him/her. Best of luck!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and your new addition - what a lovely little tort.
Sounds like you have great plans for his home, but for now you could make things a bit easier for him/her if you use a terracotta saucer sunk level with the substrate for his water dish. It would be easier and safer to get in and out of and will be less slippery.
There's lots of great up to date advice here - have you found the caresheet yet in the species section?

GoodOne

NE Florida
Hi and welcome to you and your new addition - what a lovely little tort.
Sounds like you have great plans for his home, but for now you could make things a bit easier for him/her if you use a terracotta saucer sunk level with the substrate for his water dish. It would be easier and safer to get in and out of and will be less slippery.
There's lots of great up to date advice here - have you found the caresheet yet in the species section?

Thank you and all for greeting. I am pretty excited with this new guy. The first pic was overnight holding box, much more room now and added a 6" terra cotta too. Definitely went straight to the care sheets here and on breeder's web site also, thinking I've got a good start so far, each day I think of something else to look up and research though. So far plan is to move outdoors next spring, will be almost a year old so hopefully a good time, will take out to graze on nice days in the meantime. I am very curious to learn about personalities and social structure. Do they thrive equally being an only tortoise or do they do better in pairs or small groups. Looking forward to learning and enjoying this "guy". Comes running when I put in fresh food, has found his warm log hide for sleeping, having a blast watching...this is going to he a fun pet.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hello from North Florida, and welcome to the forum! I'm located closer to the state capital.