New Leopard Tortoise Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris.Todd.1991

5 Year Member
First I'll introduce myself, my name's Chris. I'm a Marine and Environmental Policy major at Monmouth University, I have way too many fish, an aquatic turtle, and received my Leopard tortoise on Wednesday. He's doing great so far, taking his daily baths and roaming around his environment. I'm feeding him a zoo-med African tortoise mix which he seems to enjoy.
I've been reading this forum almost nonstop for the past week preparing for this guy and I wanted to thank everyone in this forum for the information. It helps keep my tortoise healthy and happy. :D
We finally decided on a name for him, Chief, hoping that it is a male :p

I just have one question, where do you guys get your food for your tortoises?
I eventually plan on growing some plants indoors but I was wondering where to get the actual plants.

Here's a picture of the little guy: (I've since taken out the water dish replacing it with a smaller one, had a little flipping incident, and given him a food dish)

mms_picture.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi Chris welcome to the the forum I get mine from Cory( spikethebest) he is a member you can do a search an find him he sells mazuri an cactus pads

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris:

Welcome to the forum!!

I buy spring mix at the grocery store. To that I'll add mulberry leaves, grape leaves, clover and dandelion, or whatever kind of weeds I can find this time of year. I don't use pelleted food for my tortoises with the exception of a once a week feeding of Mazuri for the Aldabran tortoises.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Welcome to TFO!! Chief is very cute!! I grow almost all my own food for my little herd. I bought tortoise grazing mix and some grasses, I sprinkled the seeds over organic soil in plastic plant trays from HomeDepot. It grows super fast, I just plant a new one every few days and just rotate. Super easy! I rotate in different things like mulberry leaves, pansies, rose petals, rose bush leaves, nemesia, dandelion, campanula, hibiscus, radish tops, sedum brevifolium. The sedum is a big hit here at my house! Good luck! Your tortie is super duper cute!!!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Welcome and congrats on the new leo! Spring Mix is easily found in your local grocery store produce section, local weeds from your yard or around the neighborhood, Carolina Pet Supply carries a good seed mix for your tort (they can be found online), and several people on here sell Mazuri and Opuntia.

Make sure if you collect from around your area that it is from a pesticide/fertilizer free area. A lot of school yards are good places because they usually don't spray because of the kids. And if you don't know what it is check out the Plant ID section before you feed it.

If you buy a plant from a store be sure to re-plant it in organic soil and don't feed it to your tort for around 2 months to allow any sprays that were used on it to be flushed off/out.

Welcome again to TFO...

Chris.Todd.1991

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot guys, I went to my local organic food store and got a spring mix and some dandilion as well. Also buying a grazing mix of seeds for him, he seems to be getting used to me pretty quickly too.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome to the family!
i would get a feeding plate for him as well. it keeps the substrate out of his food..
does he have good humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.