New Leopard Tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Your plans are coming together well and you are getting some good advice. I will share something my herp vet told me about calcium. I was using cuttle bone like the ones birds eat. The vet said that Tums are a good source of calcium because it is phosphorous free, and cheaper than the calcium powder your normally buy for tortoises. Apparently the ones with the tropical flavor is what tortoises like, not the menthol ones. I am going to try that and see if mine will eat it. I know I have eaten them for calcium and I like them :cool:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Ebay has a pound food grade calcium carbonate $7.95 shipped. About a buck a pound in quantity.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Great job on your adoption and effort to give the tortoise the right habitat. I went to Goodwill and got an old bookshelf and converted it to a tortoise table it was very easy just removed the shelfs and reinforcied the sides and bottom. Good luck and best wishes to you and Cimilla.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
HappyTortoise said:
What material should i get for the bottom of the cage?

Can you suggest anything else that might make her feel at home or more comfortable?

Hello and welcome. I have leopards too :). They great! your going to have so much fun watching her stomp around :)

I find that cypress mulch works best. it is nice because it wont grow mold and lasts a long time. other good ones are coconut coir and top soil (organic or without fertilizer).

to make her feel more at home you might consider making her a humid hide. We think young tortoise spend a lot of time in burrows in the wild and a humid hide imitates a burrow :) if your interested i can give you links showing how to make one.

Happy Torting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.