New leopard tortoise! (relinquished by a friend's friend)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Look at the little beauty that was given to me today by my friend's friend. They named her 'Tiku', and I will keep that name.
DSC_5131.JPG

Any guesses as to age? She is a tiny bit over 6" SCL.
DSC_5133.JPGDSC_5134.JPG

Tiku was loved much by her previous home, and they kept her in a nice big tortoise table (6.5ft x 2.5ft). They just decided they are not 'tortoise people' and are going to focus on their dogs. I respect them for this decision, and am honored they asked me to take her.

She is pyramided, but overall healthy. She has been pretty chilly the last few weeks, and her tortoise table was very dry. Swamping her with warmth and humidity will hopefully start correcting the established growth pattern, which began before she came into their care.

When I first 'met' her last Christmas she had a severe crossbite/underbite. I trimmed her beak drastically and showed the owner how to do gentle physical therapy with her mouth, moving the beak into a straight position. As you can see, it already looks quite a bit better. Here is a before-after pic, with 8 weeks in between them.
Tiku beak.jpg

Any comments or advice are welcome - I think she is female. This is my first leopard tortoise, but I am not new to tortoise keeping.

I am familiar with the hot/humid method, and will be providing her with a semi-closed chamber with a hot/humid hide. She will be misted a ton, and I will adjust her diet drastically. In the summer she will get an outdoor pen that is partially covered by a poly-tunnel style greenhouse for added heat and humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
stunning tortoise and good on ya for helping out with the beak, that's some difference in 8 weeks. She is very white, I wonder is this because of how she was kept? Did she hav UV. I got one, similar size that is very "blonde" but am noticing her starting to darken with exposure to UV.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great looking tortoise and good job with the beak. She is pyramided, but nothing bad at all. At least it looks uniform and the scutes are not distorted.

Definitely female.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How lucky can you be Katie! She is simply stunning!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Thank you, @Mick.Ire - her beak still needs some work, and of course just good old time, good food, etc.
She had a small coil-type UVB bulb in her previous home, but her tort table was huge, 6.5ft x 2.5ft, and the bulb was pointing straight down, so I doubt she got much benefit from it. She'll have good UVB here from a tube-style bulb until it's warm enough, and then she'll be outside during the warm season. I bet her coloring will darken significantly. A lot of her shell still is very waxy-looking from new growth. Rather than being pure white, it's actually more yellow, the camera made it look whiter than it is. It will be interesting to see if more black coloring comes in. My RTs all darken pretty drastically during the outdoor season.

Mick.Ire said:
stunning tortoise and good on ya for helping out with the beak, that's some difference in 8 weeks. She is very white, I wonder is this because of how she was kept? Did she hav UV. I got one, similar size that is very "blonde" but am noticing her starting to darken with exposure to UV.

Thank you, Neal! It will be interesting to see what she looks like in a few years. :)

Neal said:
Great looking tortoise and good job with the beak. She is pyramided, but nothing bad at all. At least it looks uniform and the scutes are not distorted.

Definitely female.

Thank you, Jacqui! Hehe, my husband says that in my life, tortoises just seem to 'happen' - I don't actually go about life seeking them out. They kind of have a tendency to find me. (Though I'm obviously not kicking and screaming with objection, haha...).
This one belonged to my friend's friend. We've met at major family events of our mutual friend (wedding, graduation, child baptisms, funerals) throughout the last 13 years, and when they decided that they were done caring for a tortoise, I felt very honored that they approached me.

Jacqui said:
How lucky can you be Katie! She is simply stunning!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice looking tortoise. Looks like a section of the upper beak had broken off and its regrowing nicely. It will be neat to see this tortoise in a few years.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very beautiful Leopard. Your friend are very nice...................:):):)

andyf

hi mike you still on here?