New! Lots of questions

Nubbin2023

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi there! I’m new to the forum and a first time tortoise owner. 2 weeks ago I bought a baby leopard tortoise not sure how old exactly but he’s about 2.5 inches. I am really invested in making a good life for my little guy but I am just full of questions and everything I’m seeming to be finding is giving me mixed messages! Firstly I’m concerned about the humidity level I see things that say they need a dry environment and some say it needs to be humid. I live in a dry state so the humidity is about 30%-60% typically. I have been keeping his tank about 85-90° ambient and 95-100° on the basking side. His tank is not currently closed top but I have a lid and a humidity gauge on the way. Any tips on what to do and what to avoid are appreciated! Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any info telling you hot and dry is wrong info. Most info out there is wrong.
You want temps of 80 day and night with 80% humidity day and night with a basking area of 95-100.
Do not use sand, moss or soils for substrates. Coconut coir and orchid or fir bark is recommended.
Do not use any coil, cfl or mercury vapor bulbs. You want florescent for uvb, ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel for night heat and incandescent flood bulb for basking.

Oklahoma
Hi, I have no idea how to measure the humidity. I am also brand new, and have a tortoise about the same size of yours! Apparently from the last owner mine has a bad shell for humidity and I don’t know how to measure it. I am so confused, please help!

Nubbin2023

Utah
Any info telling you hot and dry is wrong info. Most info out there is wrong.
You want temps of 80 day and night with 80% humidity day and night with a basking area of 95-100.
Do not use sand, moss or soils for substrates. Coconut coir and orchid or fir bark is recommended.
Do not use any coil, cfl or mercury vapor bulbs. You want florescent for uvb, ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel for night heat and incandescent flood bulb for basking.
Thank you for the tips from what you have said I’m not doing too bad right now a few tweaks and I’ll be all good! I’ve noticed my little guy as a bit of a pliable shell. I supplement with calcium a few times a week. Is it normal with him being so young?

Nubbin2023

Utah
Hi, I have no idea how to measure the humidity. I am also brand new, and have a tortoise about the same size of yours! Apparently from the last owner mine has a bad shell for humidity and I don’t know how to measure it. I am so confused, please help!
Hi! I just went on Amazon and looked up “reptile humidity gauge” and some options popped up and I just read the reviews and found one with some good reviews.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for the tips from what you have said I’m not doing too bad right now a few tweaks and I’ll be all good! I’ve noticed my little guy as a bit of a pliable shell. I supplement with calcium a few times a week. Is it normal with him being so young?
Yes it should harden real soon. The calcium, just a small pinch 2 or 3 times a week for now. Too much is as bad as too little.