New Manouria page in the Library!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Looks good view things.

Mee are smaller than mep dont know if that was a reversed thought. And your impressa are gonna max.around 12-14". Everything else is good. Maybe to also touch on the impressa appearance they are nice and olive to rust in color added to distinction.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the second sentence you say they are found in the ..."Southeast Asian in the mountain..."

It might be better to change Asian to Asia.

It might be noted that because of their dark coloration, they can't stand to be in the sun for very long. I had one die of heat stroke from a car ride that lasted only 20 minutes in 80F degree weather.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
OK, got the Mep typo fixed (I had it right higher in the page), as well as the Asia/n bit.

The really funny thing is that I cut and pasted the page from the Chelonoidis page, and then cut out the old data to add new stuff. Somehow in the description of the impressed, I managed to leave most of the description of the yellow-footed in by accident! Yeesh.

Thus the benefit of peer reviews!

Thanks!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No problem. I can work on sending some photos of a bunch of different species for yah too. What style are you looking for, like a general specie photo along with plastron of male and female? Usually a good descriptive in pho to methods. Id love to send one of all the manouria togethet but I never handle the impressed or even really see them much through the thicket of the greenhouse.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here are a few pics of some of my manouria family that you can use if you want. these were taken 6 Nov 2010, This is part of the second group of youngsters that I am raising, I no longer have the what are now adults that I started raising in 1996, It seems I am good at raising males ,and males were needed for breeding in Florida. I don't know how to do what you want with the word processor,and I don't keep written records but somehow I can give you what I have observed with these guys over the years, if wanted.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tortadise and len- thanks for the offers!

What I think would be the most helpful are photos that show...
- a typical specimen top and bottom, highlighting key characteristics
- a photo or two showing male and female differences
- and optional photos showing young, variants, etc.

It would REALLY help if the photos had species, gender if known, rough age, etc. with them.

Len, let me know, here or in PM, your real name, which species exactly these are, and age and gender if you know them and I will post the photos asap.

By the way- how is the page for helpful, accurate info? Especially diet and cares?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I like it. It's basic and easy to read. It's appealing to anyone that has the space, environment, and commitment to work with these guys. I believe over time this will be updated due to climate in captivity. They are extremely adabtable. NOTE - I am speaking of the M emys emys.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here are some of the plants I grow for food for the mee and mep, that most people feel are not safe or may be toxic.They are in the Araceae Family, but from different genus.Colocasia, Alacosia, Malanga, Philodendron, Pothos,and new this year, Jack-in the-Pulpit,which they love.I have noticed that they will go after these first, when offered with the regular food items normally fed. I have increased the percentage of the araceae to over 50%. This time of year they get more colocasia and malanga than the others, during the colder months they get the pothos, philodendren and alocasia in larger amounts.I plan on adding plants from the Melostomataceae, Woodsiaceae, and Marantaceaes families.I tried the Zingiberaceae family but they showed no interest in them. I offer the same plants to the impressed tortoise,she likes the pothos more than the others.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I havent fed jack in the pulpit yet. But they do love them some pothos and colocasia. I cant keep in their even to sprout. :)

Mark I know you want some good classic photos of the species. But I attached a photo of my Emys Emys gaurding her nest she has been building. You can use it if youd like, I definitely find this species preculiar because they dont dig a nest and build them and actually gaurd it from predators.

and a top photo of emys emys adults. I can get some male and female differential photos for you too.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Kelly, you made my day with your photos, particularly your girl on the nest. Great shot! I can hardly wait until mine are at the age. Mine are between 5 and 7yrs old. My 6 year old male has been mounting the girls this Summer for the first time. After 25yrs working with mainly turtles, I finally found a species that truly captures my heart.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
About how old is the baby?

Thanks again- photos help the pages a lot!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
4 years right at 10" appearing to be a male but not certain. They grow relatively slow. The big ones the female is 18" shes 18 years old, and the male is 15" around 16 years old.

wildak

5 Year Member
One thing I would like to note is the wide variation of color in Impressa. Adults can be a solid yellow/mustard, olive and brown. I have seen some information on how males have brighter colored heads but from my experience the sex doesn't have a factor in color of the heads or shells.

Their ability to climb like monkeys should be noted under enclosures as well. I find them in bushes just hanging out at times. So any chainlink or similar wire fencing should be covered at the bottom 18"-2' with hard plastic or plywood or they won't be in there in come morning.

I will give you a few detailed pictures when I get a chance (and a sunny day for good pics).

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here are a few more pics, 1 and 2 are male mee on left and male mep to the right, 3 and 4 are male mep, the last is male mee.

Status
Not open for further replies.