New marginated mam

Pablos mam

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi everyone hope ur all well, I’m a new mam to Pablo our 7 month marginated tortoise, hoping to get lots of help support and guidance from here xx

83202DF4-44A9-4591-BE1F-B908B7FA5C18.jpeg694EB38E-D6B1-423D-A9BC-D79A74477549.jpeg1D1A70F9-C0F2-438B-8BB1-EA2C5BFD017F.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

If you notice that the new baby is trying to eat those white bits in the substrate, it would be a good idea to change it t something else. My favorite substrate is the small grade fir bark.

Pablos mam

England
The bits that r in the substrate are calcium pieces to aid with his diet but Iv changed it back to coco

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Instead of the calcium bits, you can put a cuttlebone in with him. He'll eat on it when he feels like he needs it.

I like his water dish! So natural looking! But it may be difficult to navigate for Pablo. He'll get in OK. But trying to come out, because he can't bend in the middle, he has to stand and stretch to get over the side. If he falls backward and lands on his back, he could drown. It's good that the water looks shallow, but quite a few babies have died that way. Just watch him, and if he has to stand and stretch to get out, I would replace it.

With that said, if he climbed on top of that log by himself, he's an athlete! :tort: ?

Pablos mam

England
Instead of the calcium bits, you can put a cuttlebone in with him. He'll eat on it when he feels like he needs it.

I like his water dish! So natural looking! But it may be difficult to navigate for Pablo. He'll get in OK. But trying to come out, because he can't bend in the middle, he has to stand and stretch to get over the side. If he falls backward and lands on his back, he could drown. It's good that the water looks shallow, but quite a few babies have died that way. Just watch him, and if he has to stand and stretch to get out, I would replace it.

With that said, if he climbed on top of that log by himself, he's an athlete! :tort: ?
Yeah he did it all by himself took 2 attempts, the first day he didn’t make it but perseverance and day 2 he was up there looking out of the window, he also has a cuttle bone in with him which he also likes to climb on he does nibble at that when he fancies it 2. When he leaves his water he just drifts out of it not really a climb for him I think the photo is quite deceiving as it’s not as high as it looks, il bare that in mind tho and if I see him struggle it will be the first thing I change, thanks for the advise any is gladly received