New materials added to outdoor hide

Heather B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Today I trimmed my pine trees and gave the bows to my torts as an additional bit of hide material. They love it. Two Red Foots are hiding / resting in there! This bare area is covered in garden vegetables growing most of the summer.20200608_131408.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great, shade is good & nice Rose of Sharon there in the foreground. But I’m not sure that freshly cut pine bows are good to have there in the enclosure. They will soon dry up, drop all their needles - and you don’t want your Redfoots eating pine needles. Right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also use cut down branches off the pine trees for tortoise hiding places. I've got three right now in the Radiata yard. They shelter under the branches every night. I doubt the tortoise would be interested in eating the pine needles. I've used them as nesting material for the Manouria for several years. I buy two large boxes of them from pinestraw.com. The tortoises never sampled them.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I also use cut down branches off the pine trees for tortoise hiding places. I've got three right now in the Radiata yard. They shelter under the branches every night. I doubt the tortoise would be interested in eating the pine needles. I've used them as nesting material for the Manouria for several years. I buy two large boxes of them from pinestraw.com. The tortoises never sampled them.

They might think it’s Christmas & want presents & treats. ?