New Member - 60+ year old DT (no nuchal scute?) Let sleeping tort lie?

ShermanDT

Location (City and/or State)
SouthBay, CA
I posted yesterday about Sherman but failed to introduce myself. As I stated in my post, I unexpectedly became caregiver to Sherman as my mom broke her ankle and was unable to go out to care for him. I have never paid a lot of attention to him which I now regret! He is so interesting (love watching him eat), and very social, not shy at all. I'm enjoying learning about him.

I stated my concern in my first post (Under title New Caregiver) about putting him back outside or letting him brumate. It is no longer raining and temps are expected to be in 70's next few days, down to mid 50s. He is resting quietly in his box and has not moved unless I touch him. He had stopped eating last few weeks. Mom thinks he will be fine as this is when he usually goes into hibernation. I am worried as he is normally brought in after a week of not coming out. I would appreciate any advice, reassurance or reprimands.

Also, I have heard CDTs have nuchal scute. As you can see in his picture, he does not. Is it a "defect" or does it indicate he is a mixed with something else? And I'm guessing the bumps on his shell are pyramiding?

Thank you for this forum and all the knowledge that is shared.
Julie

Attachments

• Resized_20210826_114355.jpeg
    Resized_20210826_114355.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Resized_20210826_114445.jpg
    Resized_20210826_114445.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 24

ShermanDT

SouthBay, CA
Thank you! He didn't look completely like either one to me. I wonder if the Texas part is why he's never dug a burrow only makes a little dug out in dirt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Come to think of it, none of my Texans dig a burrow either.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, I am not familiar with DT's but you will find everything you need here. Isn't it amazing just watching them eat. I cant get enough of it!

ShermanDT

SouthBay, CA
Thank you for the welcome! I didn't know about them either but I am learning so much here.

It is amazing watching them.I don't know why but its just so calming to sit in the yard and watch Sherman eating or patrolling the perimeter of his enclosure again. Or bobbing at the duck statue!