New member, a few questions!

LadeeJae

Location (City and/or State)
Victorville
Hello, I've been reading for a bit but never posted! I am a fairly new tortoise mom to a beautiful Hermann's, likely female. I've learned so much, but I can never learn enough! With winter coming up quick, how do you get your tort to soak up natural UV? I have lights, etc, but I like to keep her outside to enjoy natural sunlight as well.
2nd, what types of toys do you all use? She's VERY active and social, but I'm afraid she's getting bored when I won't let her run around the house! Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If its to cold out then the lights will do.
Tortoises don't need toys. They need proper enclosure, lights, heat, diet and a variety of plants is nice, gives them places to hide and feel safe and even munch on.
Feeding them in different places or better yet, putting the food in a few different spots makes them have to search it out.
Walking the floors of your house is a big no no. We have seen too many get hurt or killed by letting them do that.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, the best UVB light is the flouresnt type tube. Arcadia offers them online. Sunlight through a window will filter out the UVB.

LadeeJae

Victorville
If its to cold out then the lights will do.
Tortoises don't need toys. They need proper enclosure, lights, heat, diet and a variety of plants is nice, gives them places to hide and feel safe and even munch on.
Feeding them in different places or better yet, putting the food in a few different spots makes them have to search it out.
Walking the floors of your house is a big no no. We have seen too many get hurt or killed by letting them do that.
I had plants in her enclosure and am looking for more since she destroyed them, lol. I should rephrase about her walking the floors of my home. She is NEVER more than 4 feet from me as my eyes are only fixed on her. I have a cat and 2 dogs, she is NEVER left alone outside of her enclosure. I'm going to look into getting a few more slates as well, since she likes dragging her food around on her soil. She is very active! In fact, her vet said they've never seen such an active tort in their office. Thank you so much for the info! And suggestions on plants they can't destroy so easily? My fault since it was a small spider plant and a small aloe.

LadeeJae

Victorville
Welcome, the best UVB light is the flourescent type tube. Arcadia offers them online. Sunlight through a window will filter out the UVB.
Thank you. I have a flourescent UV light for her that she likes, but I was curious if anyone has tricks :). Our windows are worthless when it comes to UV rays anyway. Our house is energy conserving so there's tint on the windows. Thank you for replying :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even though you watch her roam your floors it's still a bad idea. Lots of things you may not see that can hurt them. With a proper sized enclosure they don't need the floor. A proper outdoor and indoor enclosure is the best you can give them.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You asked about toys. I remember seeing a video of a Russian tortoise chasing a ball around. I thought that was so cool. Until I found out that he wasn't having fun. He thought it was another tortoise and was trying to ram it and scare it away. A torts day is sleep, eat, poop and repeat. No toys needed. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you. I have a flourescent UV light for her that she likes, but I was curious if anyone has tricks :). Our windows are worthless when it comes to UV rays anyway. Our house is energy conserving so there's tint on the windows. Thank you for replying :)
Just keep the UVB on for 10 to 12 hours. The distance you have the UVB away will affect the performance of the UVB. 10 to 12 inches is good.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I had plants in her enclosure and am looking for more since she destroyed them, lol. I should rephrase about her walking the floors of my home. She is NEVER more than 4 feet from me as my eyes are only fixed on her. I have a cat and 2 dogs, she is NEVER left alone outside of her enclosure. I'm going to look into getting a few more slates as well, since she likes dragging her food around on her soil. She is very active! In fact, her vet said they've never seen such an active tort in their office. Thank you so much for the info! And suggestions on plants they can't destroy so easily? My fault since it was a small spider plant and a small aloe.
What kind of enclosure do you have for her? My Russian is in an enclosed chamber, so I am able to hang plants from the ceiling. They trail down, get munched on if desired, but he can’t destroy the plant.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
What kind of enclosure do you have for her? My Russian is in an enclosed chamber, so I am able to hang plants from the ceiling. They trail down, get munched on if desired, but he can’t destroy the plant.
Why does a closed chamber allow you to hang plants? You can also probably get a garden hook and use that to hang plants

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Why does a closed chamber allow you to hang plants? You can also probably get a garden hook and use that to hang plants
I am able to screw hooks into the ceiling and hang the plants at a variety of heights. I can also move plants around easily depending on their light needs. I know there are other ways to hang plants, but this is a lot easier than when I had an open-topped enclosure.

LadeeJae

Victorville
I am able to screw hooks into the ceiling and hang the plants at a variety of heights. I can also move plants around easily depending on their light needs. I know there are other ways to hang plants, but this is a lot easier than when I had an open-topped enclosure.
That's a great idea! I'll run and get hooks this weekend!