New member and owner two baby Sulcatas. Need Help with lighting.

Flywithjesus562

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach
I’m a new owner of two baby Sulcatas. I just have a question about UVB. I’ve read conflicting things about them and I would just like some feedback. I have a 13 watt UVB fluorescent bulb that is 8 inches from the substrate. I’ve heard that they can cause blindness. Others say it depends on the setup. I just want what’s best for my torts. It’s been two weeks since I’ve gotten the torts, So far they don’t seem to be bothered. No eye rubbing or biting into the air. I had a larger cfl but i switched since I did notice they would sleep facing away from the cfl light . Any help would be greatly appreciated.NIMG_1527447076.862533.jpgIMG_1527447106.446791.jpgow they bask under the smaller cfl with no problem and then move on with their day.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Those compact bulbs are no good: not only do they cause eye burns, but they are very inefficient at producing uvb. You need a fluorescent tube, like the zoo med reptisun 10.0, T8 Or T5.
There are also some problems with your enclosure. You need to separate your tortoises ASAP. Tortoises, especially sulcatas, are solitary animals, and cannot make friends. They need to each have their own enclosures.
It also seems that you have an open topped enclosure. It is impossible to hold the heat and humidity you need without a closed chamber.
Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Flywithjesus562

Long Beach
One more question though. How would you suggest I hold in humidity? I’ve put in spaghum moss but you’re right in that an open top would defeat the purpose.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
One more question though. How would you suggest I hold in humidity? I’ve put in spaghum moss but you’re right in that an open top would defeat the purpose.
You can cover the enclosure with a shower curtain or garbage bag. This will help hold the humidity in.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I’m a new owner of two baby Sulcatas. I just have a question about UVB. I’ve read conflicting things about them and I would just like some feedback. I have a 13 watt UVB fluorescent bulb that is 8 inches from the substrate. I’ve heard that they can cause blindness. Others say it depends on the setup. I just want what’s best for my torts. It’s been two weeks since I’ve gotten the torts, So far they don’t seem to be bothered. No eye rubbing or biting into the air. I had a larger cfl but i switched since I did notice they would sleep facing away from the cfl light . Any help would be greatly appreciated.NView attachment 240024View attachment 240025ow they bask under the smaller cfl with no problem and then move on with their day.
Those lights have been known to cause eye problems. I stay away from them. Tube fluorescents are better. Or if you can get your torts outside in the sun for an hour 3-4 times a week, you won't need a uvb light.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sun for an hour a day they should be fine. I use a 40 watt regular incandescent in my torts enclosure for the day/night cycle. I take him outside for atleast an hour a day of sun everyday for uvb. I do keep a uvb bulb handy though for rainy days, or if ever a time comes where I can't take him out.

Flywithjesus562

Long Beach
Those lights have been known to cause eye problems. I stay away from them. Tube fluorescents are better. Or if you can get your torts outside in the sun for an hour 3-4 times a week, you won't need a uvb light.

Is that really all they need? Just an hour 3-4 times a week? I live in cali so that’s no problem. So they would do fine with no uvb bulb in their enclosure?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
As far as I'm aware this is fine and has worked for me. I'm no expert though, and not familiar with Sulcatas. Lets double check and get @Tom opinion

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Is that really all they need? Just an hour 3-4 times a week? I live in cali so that’s no problem. So they would do fine with no uvb bulb in their enclosure?

Yes, that would be fine. Just make sure that they have access to shade and can’t overheat.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you didn't want to use a tube then you could use a MVB bulb which gives heat, light and uvb on one bulb.
I use the Arcadia brand, but there are others.
You could check the distance it needs to be from your tort by using an upturned bowl or a rock about the same height as your torts back, then use a digital temp gun to get the right basking spot temp for your tort - your species caresheet will tell you that.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You could try a piece of clear perspex on the top.
But keep it away from the lamps!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Perspex is the same as acrylic

Attachments

• 31ejq7olKqL.jpg
    31ejq7olKqL.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 16

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You will need to cut holes in the acrylic for the lamps.
Have a look at the Enclosures thread and see what others have used, that will be much more useful for you.