New Member Building an Enclosure

Akdrillo86

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi,

New member from Atlanta, Georgia. Been reading up for awhile on all of the tips and am in the process of building a closed chamber in anticipation of getting a new tortoise. Lots of amazing info here! Still deciding on what kind is best for me.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of outdoor area do you have for a tortoise?
If you don't have much or no room outside then a Russian, Hermanns, Pancake or one of the smaller Stars would be best. The Russian and Hermanns is better for a beginner.
If you have a big area outside and have the means to build a heated winter shed for the cold months, then you can pretty much do any.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what type of tortoise are you thinking about getting?

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia
What kind of outdoor area do you have for a tortoise?
If you don't have much or no room outside then a Russian, Hermanns, Pancake or one of the smaller Stars would be best. The Russian and Hermanns is better for a beginner.
If you have a big area outside and have the means to build a heated winter shed for the cold months, then you can pretty much do any.

I have a nice fully enclosed backyard. I am in the process of building a tortoise table to house a baby. Then if I decide on something bigger I have a nice shed I can heat that I plan to attach to a greenhouse for the colder months.

Welcome, what type of tortoise are you thinking about getting?

Disclaimer: I am still very much a newbie in the educational stage.

Still undecided between larger (max 12-16") or small. If larger I would love something that would do well with my current climate of hot humid summers (70+%; 80F-100F, mild often wet winters (40s with fluctuations up to +-30). I like the Star Tortoises. I like the Radiated Tortoise. I love the huge Sulcata but thats just a bit too much for me to manage over the course of my life.

The further I get along on this table the more I could see how sticking with something small would be nice. The Spider Tortoise caught my eye as well as the Egyptian.

I am at the stage where they are all amazing and their differences are super interesting.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have a nice fully enclosed backyard. I am in the process of building a tortoise table to house a baby. Then if I decide on something bigger I have a nice shed I can heat that I plan to attach to a greenhouse for the colder months.

Still undecided between larger (max 12-16") or small. If larger I would love something that would do well with my current climate of hot humid summers (70+%; 80F-100F, mild often wet winters (40s with fluctuations up to +-30). I like the Star Tortoises. I like the Radiated Tortoise. I love the huge Sulcata but thats just a bit too much for me to manage over the course of my life.

The further I get along on this table the more I could see how sticking with something small would be nice. The Spider Tortoise caught my eye as well as the Egyptian.

I am at the stage where they are all amazing and their differences are super interesting.
Have you looked at the Leopard?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did but everything I read says it can get to 24"-30"!!! Beautiful may be too big for what I am hoping for.
Any baby/hatchling should not be in a table but a closed chamber enclosure. A table will not keep in the humidity, 80% they all need to grow smooth without pyramiding
You will need an incandescent flood bulb for basking, a fluorescent tube for uvb and ceramic heat emitter for night heat and any added day heat needed
The south African leopards can get to the larger size, the regular leopards, that used to be called Babcocki do not.
A Redfoot would also be good, they need high humidity but need a dry top layer to prevent shell

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia
Any baby/hatchling should not be in a table but a closed chamber enclosure. A table will not keep in the humidity, 80% they all need to grow smooth without pyramiding
You will need an incandescent flood bulb for basking, a fluorescent tube for uvb and ceramic heat emitter for night heat and any added day heat needed
The south African leopards can get to the larger size, the regular leopards, that used to be called Babcocki do not.
A Redfoot would also be good, they need high humidity but need a dry top layer to prevent shell

What size do the regular Leopards get to?

I say Tortoise table but it is indeed a closed chamber enclosure. I just plan to put it on a table and have a tortoise in it! lol. Thanks for the input!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Regular leopard Around 15-20 inches, usually around 12-15.
The south African ones can get up to about 20-25, most are probably 15-20 inches and then there is even a larger one that can get around 30-35 inches. I'm not sure they are even available

Akdrillo86

Atlanta, Georgia
If anyone can DM me a few reputable sources for obtaining a tortoise that would be great. And if anyone knows a spider tort breeder I’d love to connect with one. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Hello and welcome!

I know your climate there pretty well. I worked in Senoia for three years. I stayed in Peachtree City and Newnan for most of that, and then got a place in Senoia. I wouldn't get a leopard. Some people have trouble with them in high humidity areas like Tennesse or FL, and you are smack in the middle of those two. South African leopards would do great in your climate, but those get larger than what you want to deal with. They are a great way to go if you decide the size doesn't bother you.

All the weather details you mentioned won't really matter because you'll have it indoors or brumating in winter, depending on species. Most any species will be fine outdoors in the warmer weather there.

A red foot tortoise would do well where you are. Indoors in a large enclosure in the winter months and outdoors for the rest of the year. Hermanni or marginated too.

Spider tortoises are quite a specialty. I wouldn't start with those. Not impossible, but I wouldn't recommend that. Likewise with Egyptians.

If you like the star tortoises, the Burmese stars would do great where you are. They are hardy, personable, easy to feed and care for, and they thrive in most any climate. Their size is also very manageable for indoors in winter too. Here is more info on them:

Radiata are a fantastic species, but a bit on the larger size at 16 inches. You'd have to get those in state, and they would do well in your climate with the right housing. @zovick anyone in GA breeding Radiata?

Where to get the tortoise depends on what species you want. We can make recommendations once you narrow down the choices.

Are you aware the most of the care info for tortoises out in the world is all wrong and full of bad info? It can be very frustrating to do months of "research" only to find out all that you learned was the old wrong info, and then the pet store sells you all the wrong products. Here is the current and correct care info, and questions are welcome: