New member from Davis, Ca.

Perllalalala

Location (City and/or State)
Davis, ca
Hello all, I am new to the turtle and tortoise world. I would really appreciate feedback and advise in order to provide my turtles with the best care possible. Currently I have four baby red ear sliders which I have had for about 8 months. Just yesterday my boyfriend bought me a turtle( or tortoise) I'm not sure exactly what species and breed it is. Below I posted a pic. The previous owner said it was a 2 year old male. I need help figuring out what he is so if y'all could help me with that it would be a start. Also I would some like information on where to keep him and how to care for him given I have more experience with aquatic turtles than land ones.

IMG_0121-2.JPG FullSizeRender-2.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
It looks like your new friend got off to a rough start.
Here's some general info to get you started:
Temperature should be no more than 88 degrees. No less than 70. (Maybe 65 at night)
No bright lights. But he needs a source of UVB. If he's kept indoors, you'll need a strip florescent lamp. I use a "5.0" type.
Humidity needs to be up and over 70% all of the time. 80% is great. (Lower humidity at night is O.K. with the lower temp.)
Your tortoise is an omnivore and one of the very few species that can and will eat a HUGE assortment of things. Fruit, leaves, flowers, mushrooms, dog/cat food, etc.
Mix it up. Never feed the same thing every day. There's no need to.
Search "closed chamber" enclosure to see how you must correctly keep your tortoise....Again, UNLESS he'll be kept outside. Then I suggest you view my short YOUTUBE video REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE. It's not the greatest. But you may find some simple, cheap things to make life easier...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! Your youngster does appear to have been started dry; please take a look at the resources mentioned above.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
welcome to TFO from the SF Bay area!