New member from New York looking for Leopard tortoises

Nynomad

Location (City and/or State)
Westchester NY
i have had Hermans and Sulcata tortoises in the past. But at the time had to give them up for adoption as I couldn't properly care for them anymore.

Now looking to get Leopard tortoises. So excited to get started again.

Thinking of getting an unrelated juvenile male and female pair ( based on incubation temps) not really to breed. But hey might as well try to have a male / female pair. That hopefully will get along.

Might consider adopting a pair of any age. Always willing to help a tortoise in need. But willing to purchase also.

I could really use some trusted breeder names. Are there any breeders in the NY area?

John

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that tortoises don't do well in pairs. Groups of juveniles are usually okay, but not pairs.

Read these for current and correct care info. Sadly, most of the people keeping and breeding this species are still using the 30 year old incorrect assumptions on how to care for them.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

BEFORE you buy, read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you going to be able to take care of them properly this time? I ask, cuz most good breeders would see that comment and not give or sell their tortoises to you. Read the links Tom gave you. There is a lot to learn that by your comment of keeping pairs, I don't think you have read enough correct info yet.

Nynomad

Westchester NY
I didn't keep pairs before.
One of the reasons I was looking at leopards was because the beginner mistakes article said in #9
"
Redfoot and leopard tortoises often get along just fine"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you might like to try a hatchling, get in touch with my tortoise partner, Will. He has quite a few hatchling leopard tortoises for sale.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you might like to try a hatchling, get in touch with my tortoise partner, Will. He has quite a few hatchling leopard tortoises for sale.

I second this motion. Will starts his babies very well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't keep pairs before.
One of the reasons I was looking at leopards was because the beginner mistakes article said in #9
"
Redfoot and leopard tortoises often get along just fine"
This is possible, but not the norm. Also they need to be in a very large enclosure with lots of sight barriers. This won't work if kept in small enclosures. Large meaning if indoors a good size room or outside a good size yard. From what I have read and seen about Redfoots, they seem more likely to be able to live in pairs then leopards. However, a male/female of either species will not ever work, as the male will breed the female to illness or death. In both species, two females will give you a better chance of living together then two males or male/female

Nynomad

Westchester NY
Ok. I only had one Sulcata but a few Hermans. I was always taking new ones in and adopting out when I could. And I did quarantine the new ones. Never had a problem.
Just got lucky I guess.

So one it is. I will still stick to a leopard.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi, the thing is to use an "@" and the avatar name. It took we awhile to make this work as the TFO part of the software wants to autocomplete the avatar name. Unless you click on the avatar name suggested by TFO, even if you spell it perfectly, it won't work. Computers a love/hate matter. @Nynomad

Next week I will post images in the for sale section regarding leopards hatched in Clovis Ca by Yvonne G. and grown out more by me. Some people have a 'work' spouse. Yvonne is my 'tortoise' wife. It's complicated I guess.

I often will grow them for a few months to to see the super-doers from the average-doers, from the not so doer-doers. "Doers" are babies (neonates) that seem to have a good response and grown well. I don't change the price based on this, I just be transparent about what they are. The group coming up are what could be thought of as mutts. They are the result of adults with no know origin. No claim they are anything other than Stigmochelys pardalis . There is much to be potentially confused with by that simple Latin name which has emotive properties given to it by tortoise salesmen. There is but one recognized species and many geographic variants. As I don't know the geographic locale history I call them mutts.

Some specific geographic variants are available by others. We (Yvonne and I) don't currently have any geographic specific neonates available. We are working on that for the future.

As for the pairing thing, it just doesn't work even when it seems like it might be.

I have a few 'pairs', the males are relentless, but in a species where the female is both gentle and bigger, it is ok-ish enough until I get more enclosures built. Periodically I separate them for weeks at a time as well - that seems to cool off tension.