New member from Northern Nevada

DebNA

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Nevada
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I just recently found this site and found it very helpful with my newest Russian tort. After getting the help I needed, I decided to join. I am very grateful to be a member.

I have two Russian torts, one that I've had for two years and one that I've had for three weeks. The newest guy had me worried. Taking the advice found here, I took him to the vet. His tests came back and has had his first cycle of medications.

Thank you,
Debbie

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Debbie, welcome to TFO, it's a great resource.

Maybe you don't want to dwell on an animal being treated, but if you don't mind could you please share what the vet determined and what treatment regimen is being applied. Maybe you already did in the Russian sub-forum?

Will

DebNA

Northern Nevada
Thank you for welcoming me.

I took Rocky to the vet because he had very soft, stinky poop and when I soaked him the poop looked like undigested greens. When I took him to the vet, Rocky pooped all over the bottom of the box I took him in. The vet weighed him and took a sample of the poop. It took about 48 hours to get the results. The vet said the test showed that Rocky had pin worms and moderate level of parasites. By the way, the test was about $62.00. The medications were approximately $22.00. The prescribed medications are:

Ponazuril: 0.12 ml with each dose with the first dose that day and repeat in 48 hours, then I repeat the two doses the same way in 14 days. The vet provided four filled syringes to be added to food.

Panacur: 0.3ml once then repeat in 14 days. The vet provided three filled syringes to be added to food.

Metronidazole: 0.15cc daily for 10 days. The vet provided a bottle of the liquid and a syringe to add to food.

The vet said that the first cycle is to kill the adult worms and parasites and the second cycle is to take care of the eggs and larva that hatches after that first cycle.

For the first doses of Ponazuril and Panacur, I added them to a slice of banana (suggested by the vet). Rocky ate it up like a true champ. But I was really worried about him that first 24 hours. He didn't eat and was very lethargic. He was better and back to eating within 48 hours. His next cycle of medication will be September 15. I'm hoping it won't be as hard on him.

I hope this helps anyone who has a tort that is not feeling well.

Debbie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for sharing with us Debbie. We all learn from others' experiences.

Welcome!

christykindness

5 Year Member
Fallon, NV
Hello Debbie! I am also in NN!! Fallon to be exact. I have two Russians, one male, one female, and a sulcata. We have indoor, outdoor and greenhouse enclosures. I've had torts for 30+ years, but still have a lot to learn tort care has really changed in that time! Like you I found the forum when I had some questions, then joined. It's a great place with a lot of caring knowledgeable folks! Welcome!

DebNA

Northern Nevada
Hello Debbie! I am also in NN!! Fallon to be exact. I have two Russians, one male, one female, and a sulcata. We have indoor, outdoor and greenhouse enclosures. I've had torts for 30+ years, but still have a lot to learn tort care has really changed in that time! Like you I found the forum when I had some questions, then joined. It's a great place with a lot of caring knowledgeable folks! Welcome!

Thank you christykindness. You are close. I'm in Gardnerville.

DebNA

Northern Nevada
how is Rocky doing?
I think Rocky is doing okay. He is eating and getting use to his new home. I was supposed to give him the second dose of the medications 14 days after the first dose, but he wasn't having it. He refused to eat the banana with the medications. Since he seems better, I'm going to just keep an eye on him and see how he does. I was amazed at how smart he was. It was like he was telling me that I fooled him once, but not a second time.