New member from Portland, OR

landonewts

Location (City and/or State)
Portland OR USA
Hello, everyone -

I live in Portland, OR and am adopting an Ornate Box Turtle today. It's an adult, around 4-5" - I don't even know yet if male or female. I'm so excited!

They will be in a tank terrarium temporarily for the first 2 days - with paper on the outside, since I know turtles try to get out through the glass walls of a tank - and then my new turtle will be housed in a Zoomed tortoise box (4'x2') as well as an X-pen for yard time with the family in the summer.

I know I will be reading and asking a lot of questions. My concern right now is what foods are usually best to entice a stressed out turtle to eat. I have crickets and lots of fruits and veggies. I know every turtle is different, but what would be a good "welcome home" meal, in your opinions?

Otherwise I plan to set the turtle up and let them settle in for a couple of weeks. I have all the basics - lights (UVB and heat) a temp/humidity gauge, Zoo Med Eco Earth and Sphagnum moss for substrate, a water sprayer for humidity, and a water bowl and feeding bowl. I think my parrotlet Lucy will also give up one of her cuttlebones!

Thanks for a great forum and great information. I look forward to many discussions.

- Heather

beasy910

Congratulations ! I want an ornate box turtle to go with my eastern. But I don't think I have the room for two yet .

landonewts

Portland OR USA
Thanks, everyone! I brought Scully home tonight. She came in with a bunch of other animals to the shelter where I work, and I was lucky enough to be able to take her home.

I put her into a temporary habitat with Eco Earth and moss and a water dish, and made her a shelter from bark and rocks, and she dug right in. She is being warm and safe for the first time in a while, I think. I put some tasty crickets in for a midnight snack, tomorrow I will try tempting her with a real meal. She is beautiful! Can't wait until her turtle house arrives and I can give her a real home.

I'm sure I will be learning a lot from all of you, and thanks again for the warm welcome! This is an amazing resource and community.

Attachments

• Scully.jpg
    Scully.jpg
    958.8 KB · Views: 9

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Heather, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Scully. :)