New Member from San Diego

LauraBSD

5 Year Member
New Owner in San Diego

Honu.jpg

Hi Im Laura and I live in San Diego...a friend of mine found this tortoise in her yard while she was doing some yard work last weekend...She couldn't keep it and was going to let it go in a canyon so I offered to keep it...She said it was a box turtle and a female, but I would like to know for sure so I can care for it properly..I have 3 dogs so I will have to make a raised box for it...does it hibernate? Any help would be very much appreciated! Its name is Honu....

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: New Owner in San Diego

That is a very very dry turtle....please offer a soaking dish that is easy to climb in and out of ----after you do a soaking in a tall sided container with warm water for at least 30 minutes in a calm quiet place ....

I am not good at id'g these guys but I know water is greatly needed.....

Oh yeah....Welcome to the Forum :p

Do you live anywhere near a water/forest area? Is it possible that the turtle was just passing through and when it was picked up it was not rescued but perhaps abducted from the wild around you? :)D) Is that possible? Are you in an area this turtle may have just been using as a passing lane? Just asking because this does happen .....

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona

Yes, that is a Box Turtle and more than likely someones previous pet. Give it a warm soak (deep enough they can keep their head above water easily without swimming, as they do not swim well). Here's a link to a care sheet for some basics to get it's habitat set up properly. http://www.tortoise.org/general/boxcare.html Plus lots of great info here on the forums at: http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-98.html

Welcome to the forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
New Owner in San Diego

Hello and welcome To the TFO
And if poor some water over the shell
When you sook it or bath it I believe
It's a ornate box turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Laura, and welcome to the Forum!

Good thing you didn't encourage your friend to release the turtle. Box turtles aren't native to California and it is against the law to put them out into nature.

LauraBSD

5 Year Member
Hello! A friend of mine found Honu in her yard while doing yard work and was going to release her into the canyon...I couldn't stand that so I adopted her! I have never had a 3 toe boxie or any turtle for that matter but I LOVE her! I have always loved turtles so I feel like she came into my life for a reason....Pretty cool forum!
Honu 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: