New member from socal. Need advice on tort babys color/health

mattttthew

Location (City and/or State)
sherman oaks
Hello! Im Matt and attached are photos of my sulcata baby Filbert. The first photo is from about a month ago when I got him and the last 3 are from last night. Just need some help/advice on if he looks healthy or not. I've done nothing but research the past month making sure he is getting everything he needs (even just started growing my own grass and feeding to him). He's under a 65w basking lamp and a UVB bulb on the other side of his tank. His skin is so dark!! It almost looks burnt and it is so concerning. He is still eating the food I give to him (dandelion greens, prickly pads pieces 1-2 times a week, and grass clippings.) Thank you to anyone that takes the time to read this

IMG_2656.PNG IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2651.JPG IMG_2653.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your baby looks pretty normal. You didn't say what substrate he's on, but they typically get stained by the substrate and they also develop a "tan" very quickly if they are getting the real sunshine that they should be getting.

You are doing good with the diet so far, but he needs a lot more variety. Check out this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Also, you didn't say where you did the last month's research. Most of the care info for this species that you'll find is old, based on incorrect assumption of how they live in the wild, and wrong. Here is the right info, plus some other tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Great advice given by Tom. As for your research, I second what Tom said, except he didn't clearly state the info on this forum is correct and up to date.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt, and welcome!

Your baby's skin is dark because it's dirty. If you soak him in warm water daily for at least 15 minutes, besides the benefit he gains from the soak, it helps clean him off.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ditto all of the above. Good daily soaks in nice warm water for 15-30 mins... Follow all of @Tom 's advice on the sully care sheets. Daily soaks, humid conditions, closed enclosure, proper lighting, good variety of weeds, greens, etc plus some Mazuri.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, Matt.

What a cute little tort! GOD bless.