New member in Salt Lake City

dragonflypearl

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello All -- I am excited to write my first post on the Tortoise Forum! I am a long-time animal lover, however, have never had a reptile. I tend to research things to death (part of my profession) and don't move forward until I feel I have all the information necessary to be successful in whatever I'm pursuing. Of course best laid plans don't always turn out, but I usually have plans B-D, so things tend to work out!

After a great deal of research I have determined a Western Hermann's or Russian is in my future. The thing I like about Hermann's (from what I've read) is they tend to be active and have great personalities. I like Russians because from what I've read they can thrive in drier areas and withstand colder temps Someone please correct me if I've got it wrong.

I look forward to learning all things tortoise!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! I have a Russian and they are fairly hardy to temperature changes within reason. He is also very active and has a big personality. I can only speak for Russians but I think they are great!! Check out the care sheets under each species to get a better idea of what you'll need to provide for either. I'm sure either way you'll be in tortoise heaven!

dragonflypearl

Salt Lake City, UT
Thank you! I appreciate your sharing your experience with your Russian. The more I compare the two, the more I lean toward Russian. I have been experimenting with an indoor set-up -- heater and UVB on a timer; digital hydrometer and thermostat; also, planted stuff approved on The Tortoise Table. Lucky for me, because I have a horse I have access to timothy hay. I'm just wondering whether I need to water it down before feeding.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Thank you! I appreciate your sharing your experience with your Russian. The more I compare the two, the more I lean toward Russian. I have been experimenting with an indoor set-up -- heater and UVB on a timer; digital hydrometer and thermostat; also, planted stuff approved on The Tortoise Table. Lucky for me, because I have a horse I have access to timothy hay. I'm just wondering whether I need to water it down before feeding.
I never feed my Russian Timothy hay. I feed mostly weeds from my yard. I'm not sure they'll eat the hay but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with knowledge about Timothy hay can answer that question. My guess is that it shouldn't be a large part of their diet if at all. My little guy just loves the greens... dandilion, plantain weed, clover, lambs quarter... plus his favorite.. cactus pads!!! He likes a lot of my flowering plants too.. geraniums, echinacea, campanula, hibiscus, begonia...

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Your average Russian tortoise is not going to be interested in eating hay or grass. The Russians I owned and cared for have never really bothered with them even when offered. You can try to mix grass and hay up with other foods that they do eat but they may just eat around it.

Here is a link to a very good up to date care sheet on Russian tortoises:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

High humidity levels (70-80%) has been found to be quite beneficial to all tortoises; even species from arid climates such as Russians and Greeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Russian tortoises may eat some of the newer blades of growing grass, but their mainstay food items are broad-leaf weeds and plants. Hay? not so much.

dragonflypearl

Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks all for letting me know I needn’t bother with hay. I appreciate the Russian-specific diet info. I am so excited to become part of the tortoise conversation — more reading and learning than writing and recommending for now.