New member (Kinixys homeana )

Williamtt

Location (City and/or State)
!!!!
Hi guys !! Thanks for letting me be part of tortoise forum.
I’m here because I want to learn as much as possible about hingeback tortoises :)

Yesterday I got two Kinixys homeana and I’m keeping them at 80f and 75% / 80%!humidity during the day and at night between 75/78f

Can you guys please tell me if those temps are okay for them. I can’t find anything about hingebacks anywhere.
They are being kept in a large terrarium about 5 feet long and 2 wide with cypress mulch and lots of plants (fake)
They have a hide which they are using and a water dish deep enough for them to soak at one end. The light is set at the center so the heat can be more even and I’m spraying the terrarium once or twice a day to keep the humidity at a decent level.
They are super shy and one did not come out of the hide until night when I dimmed the lights and I only know because she ate the strawberry I left there lol at least I know they are eating.
The other one seems to be more outgoing and he’s been exploring the terrarium more.
What can I do to make their lives better ??

Attachments

• 4981DD94-9964-4DC3-BCBB-231930341DB1.jpeg
    4981DD94-9964-4DC3-BCBB-231930341DB1.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 3E12ACC6-D02E-4706-8619-0D39F38C1A24.jpeg
    3E12ACC6-D02E-4706-8619-0D39F38C1A24.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have a sorta dumb question ( I could just do it and see for myself). How well does it work to use silk plants with tortoises? Do they try and eat them, or do the rot from the humidity. The real plants I use get consumed pretty fast and so I loose that they provide cover quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I don't know the hingebacks at all, so I can't help with your questions.

Williamtt

!!!!
I have a sorta dumb question ( I could just do it and see for myself). How well does it work to use silk plants with tortoises? Do they try and eat them, or do the rot from the humidity. The real plants I use get consumed pretty fast and so I loose that they provide cover quickly.
Most of them are plastic plants I hope they don’t rot or anything lol I bought them at walmart super cheap

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom

I’m using silk plants without any issues Will.
Mine hasn’t tried to eat it at all Yet ;-)

JanelP

Idaho
I use silk plants and my baby will walk up to it. the moment she touches them she ignore and keeps going. I'm sure they think something like "these don't smell good, and they feel funny" Course I like to think tortoises are smarter than most people give them credit for.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! ! !