New Member- Leopard mating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennymark

5 Year Member
Hi All...
I'm brand new to the Forum.
I have 2 gorgeous leopard tortoises- Male and Female (Tommy and Tallulah)
I've had them for 4/5 years-- and I wasn't able to get the exact age when i got them. (one from a previous owner and one from a pet shop- a year or two apart)
Tommy is about 12 inches long, and my girl is a couple of inches shorter.
I still consider them to be quiet young- I know they have a lot more growing to do! But this morning I went down to see them-- and Tommy was attempting to mate Tallulah.
I was so shocked (and happy) that this has happened so soon. I do think my girl is far too young/small for anything to happen just yet.
She has hit a growth spurt in the last year though and is growing by the day.
Do you think they are just "learning" or practicing for now:D, or not fully sexually mature yet-- or should I be cautious at this stage?
Looking forward to hearing your views!!
Many thanks
Jenny:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenny, and welcome to the Forum!!

Males mature earlier than females do. In my opinion, it would be a good idea to separate them for a couple more years to give the female a chance to continue to grow without laying eggs.

I have a young yellofooted tortoise that was encouraged to lay eggs before she gained her full size, and she has trouble getting the eggs out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. And when they do go back together, it would be good to have another female to divert some of his attention.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jenny and welcome to the TFO
I have a pair of leopards and I have
Had them over 10yrs in the spring
The male bangs and mates with the female . But in the fall the female bangs the male I think it may be a sign of Dominets she is larger then him
And they say if your pair will not
Mate separate them and when you
Put them back to gether they will. Be more willing to mate so I would do what they are saying and good luck with your
Pair when they are ready

jennymark

5 Year Member
Thanks for your welcomes! and the great advice!
I guess for now I will have to separate them. I have put so much time and effort into building an amazing enclosure for them over the years. (I live in UK so they are indoors).
As this has happened a lot sooner than I thought-- when should both male and female be sexually mature?

Many thanks

Jenny

Status
Not open for further replies.