New member looking for some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackmac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Hello Tortoise owners,
This is my first time posting, been following the forum for some time. My wife and I are searching for a new companion, only dilemma is that I really want large size tortoise, but currently lacking the skill (no prior experience with tortoise, only with dogs) and the space (give we still live in a 900 ft apt in northern california). Heard people suggesting Russian, Greek, Hermann for first owners but I still want a bigger size tortoise. What do you guys recommend? Thank you.
Jack

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Next size up would be a leopard or a redfoot. Have you looked in to the care of either of those much?

jackmac

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Hey guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome and quick reply. In terms of size, are the leopard tortoises bigger than the the red-foot? My wife and I don't have much experience, curious if any members can point out some useful links from this forum. Thanks in advance.
Jack

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You'll find a ton of info if you go to the Leopard or Redfoot sections. Leopards are available in two types. The more common subspecies is babcocki. They can get from 12-18" or so, and the adults do well in warm dry areas. Babies need some humidity and hydration though. I don't know redfoot torts very well, but there are at least two types of those as well. They need a bit different set-up and diet than the desert type torts and they can get around 10-14". (Any of our redfoot keepers should feel free to elaborate and/or correct me.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jack:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome to the forum Jack. Are you thinking about getting a hatchling or a full grown tort? As a hatchling it won't take up much space but will take a lot more care and nurturing. If you want an adult one the size of a leopard you will need some outdoor space as well for sun and exercise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless you have someplace outside for a tortoise to get real sunshine, I don't recommend getting anything larger than a Russian, Hermann's, redfoot or Greek. A leopard would not do well indoors.

jackmac

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
emysemys said:
Unless you have someplace outside for a tortoise to get real sunshine, I don't recommend getting anything larger than a Russian, Hermann's, redfoot or Greek. A leopard would not do well indoors.

Thanks the advice, curious if baby leopards need dailly sunlight as well. Problem is that we currently live in apt in Northern cali, looking at relocating back to Southern califronia in a year or two. There is good sunlight in the living room but not sure if that is enough (~900 sq ft of space). Really want to get a baby so we can watch him grow. Any advice appreciated. Thanks again for the all useful advice.
Jack

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum
Without access to a yard I would not recommend anything larger than the med tortoises hermanns, greek, and russians.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you are pretty sure you can offer more space in a couple years, then you could do pretty much any species you want. The Leopards and many other do well in Southern California, although Red-foots want more humidity than you'd usually get.

Having said that, I would recommend trying to visit with local keepers- you can probably find someone here, or through the California Turtle and Tortoise Club- http://www.tortoise.org so you can see what they need to do and possibly actually have a close encounter with several species.

jackmac

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Madkins007 said:
If you are pretty sure you can offer more space in a couple years, then you could do pretty much any species you want. The Leopards and many other do well in Southern California, although Red-foots want more humidity than you'd usually get.

Having said that, I would recommend trying to visit with local keepers- you can probably find someone here, or through the California Turtle and Tortoise Club- http://www.tortoise.org so you can see what they need to do and possibly actually have a close encounter with several species.

Thanks for the useful link, appreciate all the suggestions.....now my search continues. I am glad that I found this website.;)
jack

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi Jackmac,

If you live in California or the Southwest, I would not get a redfoot tortoise. They come from humid South America, so unless you can invest the time, money, and effort into humidifying an enclosure, your redfoot would not do very well. In the US, I think redfoots should be kept in Florida, or elsewhere in the humid Southeast.

As for leopard and sulcata tortoises, they come from the warm, semi-arid grasslands of Africa, so Texas, the Southwest, and Southern California would be good for these. These animals do not hibernate, so they should get outdoor time in the summer, and then be overwintered indoors. However, these two species get quite large, so they are not suitable for small apartments.

The Testudo species, though (Greek, Hermann, and Russian) are from temperate Eurasia, so they do well in much of North America. Plus, they are relatively small (under one foot in length), and can be accommodated in small homes, so long as they get at least some time outdoors. The other two more rarely encountered Testudo species are the Egyptian and the marginated. The Egyptian is very small, and also rather delicate, so unless you are an experienced tortoise keeper, don't get the Egyptian (just ask EgyptianDan here on TFO). The marginated, however, is like a large Greek tortoise with a flared shell. They come from Greece and Italy, and they do have some cold tolerance (that's why they have that flared shell: to bask in the sun at altitude more efficiently). They are fairly hardy (about as hardy as Greeks), and they are the largest species in the genus, growing to over one foot in length.

The hardiest tortoise is the Russian, followed by the Hermann, followed by the Greek and marginated species. Based on where you live and the type of home you have, if you really want a tortoise but feel that the Russian, Hermann, and Greek species are not big enough, then I would get the marginated tortoise instead (Testudo marginata).

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Does your apartment have a balcony or porch of some type?

Sunlight is very important and, really, no artificial light is as good...some come close, but real sunlight is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.