New member meet frank

Frankthetort

Location (City and/or State)
Bolton
After typing in the species of tortoise in this case a hermann tortoise it shows recommended lighting in there which is this

Attachments

• E6D93A77-69FA-4A8C-983D-0C150BC93093.jpeg
    E6D93A77-69FA-4A8C-983D-0C150BC93093.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 9

Frankthetort

Bolton
And at the bottom is also recommended what is best to go with the light for more light or heat which I use the deep heat projector

Attachments

• B209876A-D430-41C5-BD12-A1BFA217279C.jpeg
    B209876A-D430-41C5-BD12-A1BFA217279C.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 8

Frankthetort

Bolton
So I believe I am using the correct lighting and heating including basking heat as my young tortoise is active eats every day drinks by him self and has a solid poo I feed him on terracotta plants saucers not directly on substrate

Frankthetort

Bolton
Also I’m not wanting him to eat the limestone for calcium as I have done months of research and have all the supplements he needs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Frankthetort

Bolton
I go by this

Attachments

• FF812391-F2C3-4641-BC06-473E5012B58C.jpeg
    FF812391-F2C3-4641-BC06-473E5012B58C.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 11

Frankthetort

Bolton
Just ring pro rep and uk biggest breeders also contacted the breeder in Croatia and they said it is fine becouse I’m not feeding on substrate and becouse I provide food he had no need to eat the massive amount that would cause impaction when a tortoise is grazing in the garden eating grass that crass is attached to soil and soil has bits of stones natural stones like limestone that pass through the body Arcadia sell earth pro arid that contains volcanic rock and Coconut fibre for leopard geckos now they hunt crickets that are on the ground there more likely to eat a little substrate from catching that cricket less likely for a tortoise that eats from a bowl. And also I have done a lot of research before I got him I have had him a week now eaten on the first day and passed on the first day here is a list of what I use

.thermostat microclimate evo lite
.arcadia pro t5 12% uvb
.deep heat projector 50w
.2 hides 1 warm 1 cool
. Substrate that he can dig and be what he is made to be as they enjoy digging
.temps= air temp 29-30c basking earring 32-33c
Cool side 80-81c night temp becouse he is young I never let it go below 78c
humidity 45-50%

thermostat prob underneath the basking area digital thermometer prob on the warm side and a digital thermometer prob on the cool side

Attachments

• 314CFA26-5D3B-4448-8D43-8ED81908D749.png
    314CFA26-5D3B-4448-8D43-8ED81908D749.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everyone does research. You've done yours. That info is wrong.

Ask yourself something... What do I stand to gain by telling you not to use an unsafe product? What does pro-rep stand to gain by telling you to use their product? Or Pets at Home?

As for breeders: There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people breeding sulcatas here in the US. I know of 3 other than me that start them correctly. I could find you 100 websites, books, vets, breeders, experts, and care sheets that will all tell you the same wrong info.

There have been advancements in tortoise care and husbandry knowledge. If you wish to follow that old advice, you will learn the hard way, as I did. Let's talk in 6 months and again in 12 months, and see what kind of shape your tortoise's carapace is in. If it hasn't died from sand impaction by then.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We know what it is and we're telling you its a problem. Like most people you've gotten bad advice and the wrong products from the pet shop. Seems like most UK members that come here have all been sold that stuff. Its dangerous. It is a bad idea to encourage a tortoise to eat dry sandy substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings. Think about that for a minute. And there are not little bits of limestone in the sandy areas in the wild, and your enclosure is not the wild. We are trying to save you from some serious heartbreak and guilt, and literally save your tortoise's life.

Most of the tortoise care info you find out in the world is wrong. We've been doing it wrong for decades, but some of us have been doing some study and experimentation to figure out what works best and why. Your tortoise is being raised too dry and irreparable damage is being done. It needs the correct dampened substrate, moderate humidity, daily soaks, and the ability to find or create little humid microclimates like what it would find and utilize in the wild. It appears that you also have the wrong bulb over your tortoise. You don't show the bulb in the pictures, so how could I know that?

Here is the correct care info, including substrate and lighting info:
As usual, you got it right Tom. I was going to say something about the substrate too. I hope your advice is heeded, this is such a nice little tortoise.

Frankthetort

Bolton
Ok I’m sorry if I came across funny I didn’t mean too this little means a lot to me already and there so many different opinions like I said I’m sorry and u have put the fear of god in me now so what would u recommend? I was just looking at hemp is that ok?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So I believe I am using the correct lighting and heating including basking heat as my young tortoise is active eats every day drinks by him self and has a solid poo I feed him on terracotta plants saucers not directly on substrate
Good thing he is so smart that he knows not to eat anything that's not on his feeding dish! Wish mine were so smart. But they are not, so I am careful what I put in their enclosure...why take the chance?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In addition to what @Tom is trying to tell you, I will tell you that the deep heat projector is bad for a tortoise. It is primarily near IR and extremely desiccating on the shell. It will Contribute greatly to pyramiding. The website you are referring to says its great for reptiles, and it is - but, for many lizards and snakes. Not for tortoises and particularly growing young tortoises.

Frankthetort

Bolton
Is there any evidence that it’s bad for the tortoise I’m only asking becouse it’s mimicking the sun which gives ir A and it B?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there any evidence that it’s bad for the tortoise I’m only asking becouse it’s mimicking the sun which gives ir A and it B?
They desiccate the carapace and the evidence is your tortoises carapace.

Everything coming from the sun is filtered through water vapor in the atmosphere. No filter between the electric bulbs and your tortoise's carapace.

Substrate and lighting recommendations here:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I’m sorry if I came across funny I didn’t mean too this little means a lot to me already and there so many different opinions like I said I’m sorry and u have put the fear of god in me now so what would u recommend? I was just looking at hemp is that ok?
It sucks man. We do this here all the time. People do hours, days, months of research trying to sort through the contradictions and then do their very best to give their tortoise an excellent enclosure and an excellent life. The problem is that most of what you find is wrong. Old. Outdated.

I'm really glad you found us and are willing to keep an open mind. In time, you'll learn all these things we are telling you, and you'll be so glad you listened. Some people get offended and leave. Most people take in the new info, consider it all, and then thank us later. We just want to help.

Frankthetort

Bolton
I appreciate it thanks I’m not calling u or anyone a lier I just find it hard to believe that a dhp would do that that’s and I’m always a believer in a lot of evidence of this so I have contacted Arcadia John on this as if this is true then it would be on there website stating not to use on tortoises I have looked every where for the evidence but nothing like I said that I’m not calling you or anyone a lier I am grateful for the help provided as I took in advice and changed the substrate

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I appreciate it thanks I’m not calling u or anyone a lier I just find it hard to believe that a dhp would do that that’s and I’m always a believer in a lot of evidence of this so I have contacted Arcadia John on this as if this is true then it would be on there website stating not to use on tortoises I have looked every where for the evidence but nothing like I said that I’m not calling you or anyone a lier I am grateful for the help provided as I took in advice and changed the substrate
Liar is a harsh word and does not apply here. A liar is someone saying things they know is not true. Big difference from someone saying something as opinion when they don't have all the knowledge as perhaps the latest research has shown. You can talk to hundreds of "experts" including the scientists at Arcadia. But that doesn't mean they are up to the most reliable findings on tortoise husbandry. To wade through all the opinions, I always just ask how many smooth, non-pyramided tortoises have you raised? And how many pyramided tortoises have you raised. Can you now raise smooth tortoises at will? Look through the examples and pictures here of the folks following what you are being told here - or their tortoises raised they way our care sheets outline. Then look at pictures of the tortoises raised the way most of the experts saying contrary things look. That is your evidence.

Here's a few tortoise I have raised with these methods...

IMG_0018(1).jpgIMG_0096.jpgIMG_0143.JPGIMG_0423.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m not offended at all. I do not feel like you were calling anyone a liar. I think your reaction is totally normal and your request for more evidence and explanation is totally reasonable. The reaction that you are having is the same reaction I have seen on this tortoise forum 1000 times over the last 10 years.

Frankthetort

Bolton
That’s why I said I’m NOT calling anyone a lier message from arcadia John

Attachments

• DC024124-E054-493F-AB8F-32F9CF312B5A.png
    DC024124-E054-493F-AB8F-32F9CF312B5A.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 15

Frankthetort

Bolton
I respect any one has had 10-20 or 30 years experience I learn from them people but technology has changed and lighting has become better what people thought was good 10 years ago like a che or halogen may not be what they think it is now I messaged him becouse if this was true surely a man who bases his company around WILD RECREATION would know this and not put his company at risk by selling a product that wasn’t designed for a certain reptile and not mention it on the companies website plus if the claims was true now that this product has been out for a few years now surely there would be evidence like photos a journey of development anything that would back these claims up