New member meet frank

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I’m using Arcadia pro t5 12% uvb desert recommended on the Arcadia website with a deep heat projector as a basking area which he is super active after basking under for a little while

What the heck is a 'deep heat projector'? And don't you think that Arcadia would recommend it's own product? Some of us have been doing this for a lot of years. We made mistakes and cost some lives. But now we know how to care for numerous different species of turtle/tortoise. You came here for help, so don't argue when we tell you how to care for chelonia.

Frankthetort

Bolton
So basically we can’t trust what a company is saying about there new products just got to listen to people that have 10-20-30 years of tortoise care and have to do what they say? What all becouse u know how to feed a tortoise what supplements to use? That’s easy in 2020 you go on there website and look up lighting for heating or food guide and put in the species and there you have it a full guide or are we not allowed to believe what is on there? And one more thing in my defence the person that said there are bad can u for certain and have proof they are bad I mean u have 10+ years experience but they only brought them out 2 years ago have u used them and seem the bad results for yourself? I mean you guys that have all this experience in this field surely u use a certain brand am I correct or a certain bulb? I’m guessing u use that brand becouse u BELIEVE it to be reputable can I correct? But then ant you contradicting yourself by saying u can’t believe what the company say becouse they will promote there company? Hhmmm? And how can u say they are a bad product causing pyramiding when u don’t use them yourself that’s like going to a restaurant and saying don’t eat there the steak is terrible but never been

Frankthetort

Bolton
Think u guys need to think before u tell people that certain stuff in this case a heating element is bad when u have no evidence to back it up and please don’t show me a article that says it here is proof show me pictures of what it does

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I think I might have been this hostile when I started on the forum like 9 years ago ? if I would have only listened then. ?

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Welcome to the forum. I have had and bred desert tortoises for nearly 60 years and would not use a desiccative light like you’re using. It is 116° today (46.6 Celsius) in the shade. My deserts are all in burrows or in mud wallows under the shade as it is way too hot for them without deep burrows under ground. I have a Masters degree in microbiology as well as two other masters degree is in business and in medical informatics and I have an MD and I’m triple boarded. I also have been a member of the herpetological society for a number of years. I join to form a year ago because one of my deserts was stung by a scorpion and I was sharing information about what happened and then I found myself with a leopard tortoise and I didn’t know anything about them. Thank goodness I was already on this forum. I had no idea that it needed an enclosed chamber, what it ate, that it didn’t brumate, or anything else. This was after I thought I had done research and do diligence looking at textbooks, scientific journal articles, and consulting with a veterinarian. I now have a new veterinarian that actually knows about leopard tortoises. I now have an enclosed chamber built by Mark who is trying to give you advice. I follow the care instructions written by Tom who is trying to give you advice and I am enclosing a picture of my leopard who started with pyramiding when he was dumped on me by a clueless woman the poor baby was stuck at 45 to 50 g and has now exceeded 300 g and is doing quite well and I haven’t even had him for a year. There is nothing in it for these members to help you and many of them have been breeding and caring for tortoises for many years and has been participating in herpetological societies, make a living with these amazing animals and have degrees in biology and other related topics. Look at your Hermann baby’s shell. It is starting to dessicate as in dry up. If you don’t want to believe people and you want to believe somebody who sold you some thing then believe what your tortoise is telling you. He’s very cute and we all want you to be successful and we want the animal to be very happy. Nothing more. None of us want to insult you or hurt your feelings, we just want to help. You will see central pyramiding and then subsequent smoothing now that my leopard is in the correct environment. As an FYI I blew well over 1500 on things that were inappropriate for the tortoise. It bit to change out. It hurt that people told me crap that harmed my leopard. I know they meant well but I know it wasn’t working. I could see it for myself.

Attachments

• DBBB9BDB-84EA-444E-9865-A0930BF1AACD.jpeg
    DBBB9BDB-84EA-444E-9865-A0930BF1AACD.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4626508D-0956-44D8-975A-4D2663A78B39.jpeg
    4626508D-0956-44D8-975A-4D2663A78B39.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix