New Member-New Russian

PilotMaximus

Location (City and/or State)
60964 (IL)
Hi Everyone.
Just brought home our first tortoise over the past weekend. So glad to have such a great resource and community to help us with our newest family member. We live just a bit south of Chicago. So far we are taking her(Emma) out to her outdoor enclosure during the day and bringing her in at night. As always, tons to learn. We want to give our little Russian Tortoise the best life we can.

I see people talking about ZooMed and Mazuri for Tort foods as supplements to all the popular natural weeds and plants from the garden. The Breeder/Vender that we purchased our little guy from sent us home with Rep-Cal. Is that not a recommended food? I've seen it mentioned once or twice but nothing good or bad.

Thanks,

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi welcome!

I’m in the U.K. but I have recently been using Pre Alpin Baby Testudo Mix - Wow my baby Russian loves it! Yesterday he cleared his whole plate of food when it was sprinkled.
ZooMed and Mazuri are popular on here too.

If you would like any advice on your set up, you can post pictures and other more experienced members will comment and give you tips.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

As always, natural is better. I use the pellets more as a topical, or supplement, rather than the mainstay of the diet. If your tortoise is eating weeds and plants while outside, then you really don't have to worry about supplementing with pellets. Having said that, it's always a good idea to get them used to eating pellets so that on those days when you've run out of greens, or the ground is covered in snow, he'll eat pellets.

PilotMaximus

60964 (IL)
Thanks everyone. Yeah we’re giving Emma about 2 teaspoons of the Rep-Cal every other day. She races across to it and clears the plate. I’ll try to get a size, weight and pics posted later too.

Thanks again.